General Discussion, Not necessarily related to Bloodbowl
JoeKano
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: MBBL
Favourite Race: Slaan

Whats the least well balanced/inappropriate roster

Post by JoeKano »

Whats the roster that just doesnt make sense. The roster that really should be overhalued and deserves it. We all know some roster are meant to be challenging to play and others reward bold coaches and yet others are just well just yeh.

So name it shame it and say how it shoul dbe fixed and why. Keep in mind the fluff, keep in mind that weak rosters and odd rosters have their place in the galaxy but whats just damn well broken and why.
'Sometimes you just need to let the dice do the thinking for you' - Semitence
Stunty King 2011 EucBowl
Champion 6-0-0 Eucbowl 2016
"My KR Multicase Aquila- the best in team transport" - JoeKano.
Melbourne Blood Bowl League
#Nuffleridesmelikeapony

Moraiwe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
Favourite Race: Khemri

Re: Whats the least well balanced/inappropriate roster

Post by Moraiwe »

Dark Elves for the twatty, power-gamer players it attracts. Fix it by banning it, melting down all the figures into misshapen balls, and using them to stone their former owners.

I'll consider it some more, but that's my instinctual response.
I feel only two things: nothing and nothingness.

Karnov
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Karnov »

In my (limited) experience with the game I've seen Chaos Dwarves cop a lot of flack for being cheesy, etc.

I really like them as they are (imo) one of the most characterful, fluffy teams in the game.

I understand why they a viewed as o.p; as a solution maybe lose one Bull Centaur? To make up for the loss, give the remaining BC mutation access (or horns!)

lolvenom
Star Player
Star Player
BB League: SLOBB
Favourite Race: Ogre

Post by lolvenom »

Orcs ::)

No really Orcs.

gregory_n_white
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem

Post by gregory_n_white »

At the "bad" end of the spectrum, Ogres. I understand why flings and gobs are not really competitive but Ogres should not be as bad as they are.

At the "too good" end, Cheese Dorfs. Ability to build killer teams with awesome blitzers/ball carriers and cheap hob gob fillers.

Shteve0
Veteran Beastman
Veteran Beastman
BB League: WBBL
Favourite Race: Amazon

Post by Shteve0 »

Khemri, which is nearly excellent but wrecked by decay on the character piece.

Any roster with positionals that aren't worth taking. Assassins are famous for it, but it also applies to a lesser or greater extent to zon throwers, human catchers, corf minotards, rat ogres, slann blitzers, pact skaven, orc goblins...
Commish of the WBBL - Wellington NZ's Blood Bowl league and home of the Apes of Wrath - as featured on the legendary Three Die Block podcast!

Shteve0
Veteran Beastman
Veteran Beastman
BB League: WBBL
Favourite Race: Amazon

Post by Shteve0 »

Who am I kidding? I love them all, really
Commish of the WBBL - Wellington NZ's Blood Bowl league and home of the Apes of Wrath - as featured on the legendary Three Die Block podcast!

Woolfe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: BABBL
Favourite Race: Human

Post by Woolfe »

Nurgle

Regen+Nurgles Rot+foul appearance = Important dudes don't die easy(who cares about rotters).
Which means one of the penalties for bash teams, the difficulty at retraining a new guy, is less difficult. AND because you get rotters free, + regen you don't end up spending much cash, thus you have a nice bank should you ever lose someone.

AND if you are being affected by spiral or whatever, you just dump the rotters until your costs are lower and you can start earning cash again.

Couple that with Disturbing presence messing with ball handling teams. AND mutations allowing Clawpombers out the wazoo. You have a nasty team that does take a while to build, but once built has few negatives. Especially as with regen they will likely be able to handle the other clawpombing teams of similar values.

Lose Regen.
Woolfe

BeefyGoodness
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
Favourite Race: Undead

Post by BeefyGoodness »

Orcs. They are too cheap for the stats and skills/access they bring.

Long running leagues with killer teams is less of an issue with the roster and more of a direct issue with the rule set.

Greyhound
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
Favourite Race: Lizardmen

Post by Greyhound »

Khorne, Dark Elves, and Chaos Dwarves for me.

I love playing them but feel dirty for doing so, the rest less so.
Hexoatl Missionaries
Scrub since 2011

Rabid_Bogscum
Frank N Stein
Frank N Stein
Favourite Race: Skaven

Post by Rabid_Bogscum »

the zons are just the ugliest roster... needs a Norse revamp. Shouldn't have been allowed to stay in its current form
Commish of SLOBB
ATC Champions 2012, 2016, 2018
NSW State Rep 2011, 2013, 2015 (Champs), 2017 (Champs)

Champion: Leviathan '08, Eucalyptus Bowl 4, Sandgroper V, Southern Shrike Bowl 4, Dragon Bowl, TSP '13, GOM '13, Gosford Gauntlet '14, Jokerbowl '15, MOAB '16, Cancon '17, Eucalyptus Bowl 14

BeefyGoodness
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by BeefyGoodness »

Give the Zon's their pony!

SinisterDexter
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: PWND

Post by SinisterDexter »

I'm honestly surprised no-one has named Wood Elves. As a Welf player I am always hearing people go on and on about how broken they are, and yet, no takers...?

Personally I don't have any major issues with any team roster. I think halflings could do with a positional of some sort just to add a bit of interest (maybe a chef with Stab or Claw to represent his cleaver), but they're all pretty good and you know what you are getting into when you play a team.
Check out the Adeleague at www.adeleague.weebly.com
Open format, progression style tournament for Adelaide based coaches.

Rabid_Bogscum
Frank N Stein
Frank N Stein
Favourite Race: Skaven

Post by Rabid_Bogscum »

that would be cool... a stab fling player but if he gets injured then you lose the master chef.

or maybe having him makes the rolls 3+ or 4+ and losing him changes them to 4+ or 5+
Commish of SLOBB
ATC Champions 2012, 2016, 2018
NSW State Rep 2011, 2013, 2015 (Champs), 2017 (Champs)

Champion: Leviathan '08, Eucalyptus Bowl 4, Sandgroper V, Southern Shrike Bowl 4, Dragon Bowl, TSP '13, GOM '13, Gosford Gauntlet '14, Jokerbowl '15, MOAB '16, Cancon '17, Eucalyptus Bowl 14

Fassbinder75
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
Favourite Race: High Elf

Post by Fassbinder75 »

I guess BABBL is unique amongst Australian leagues, but Nurgle - wow! You basically have to mortgage a year of your Blood Bowl life to get them to something even resembling competency.

I'll add a +1 to Wood Elves. Pure cheese. Leaping blodger OOTB and the retarded tree to soak up blocks and mark bashers. MBBL people hate on Dark Elves because they're over-subscribed but I think woodies are worse.

Woolfe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Woolfe »

Fassbinder75 wrote:I guess BABBL is unique amongst Australian leagues, but Nurgle - wow!
We have had 3 Nurgle teams played by Serious players in the time I have been there.
http://www.brisbane.bloodbowlleague.com ... p=tm&t=awf
http://www.brisbane.bloodbowlleague.com ... p=tm&t=son
http://www.brisbane.bloodbowlleague.com ... =tm&t=sma2
All 3 have been in the finals. 2 got 2nd in their first season. The 3rd took 3 seasons, but has been built as a killing team.
All 3 have high casualty caused rates, and whilst Cas received are also high, when you look the vast majority are rotters.
I can't recall why Devils stopped playing, but I recall Bouf was concerned that the Sons would become a slaughterhouse, and Nick has built his team to be a slaughterhouse.
All 3 of the BABBL guys are good players, Nick especially plays a style that suits the Nurgle team, but that just highlights the issues.
Fassbinder75 wrote:You basically have to mortgage a year of your Blood Bowl life to get them to something even resembling competency.
Yes, and I actually state that. But the issue is once there, they have no significant weakness. Don't get me wrong, You have to put in the hard yards to get to that point, but once there......
Just because they take a while to get broken, doesn't mean they aren't broken.

They differ from the Chaos and Chaosdwarves because of the sheer cost of those teams, Spiral kills funds, so they can't replace team members easily.
Nurgle is much less affected by this, because they have regen hence tend to not die or injure as often. Which has a dual effect of them not dying, and not needing to pay money to replace them. Adding the free rotters means you also don't pay for the lineys of the team. So they tend to have a lot of money.

If Nurgle lose a player, they either have the cash, or just drop their rotters to enable them to get the cash.
Woolfe

Fassbinder75
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Fassbinder75 »

Woolfe I don't dispute any of this but these issues boil down to:

a. CPOMB is OP
b. BABBL encourages such sides

BeefyGoodness
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by BeefyGoodness »

Fassbinder75 wrote:Woolfe I don't dispute any of this but these issues boil down to:

a. CPOMB is OP
b. BABBL encourages such sides
The problem isn't a league that "encourages such sides" than the rules themselves. If the rules support these teams being the "best" then the rules need to be changed, not the teams.

Fassbinder75
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Fassbinder75 »

BeefyGoodness wrote:The problem isn't a league that "encourages such sides" than the rules themselves. If the rules support these teams being the "best" then the rules need to be changed, not the teams.
Agree 100%. However, given there is no governing authority over the rules currently and ownership is in absentia I would think that some sort of league rules might help mitigate the Nurgle menace over waiting for something to be done about CPOMB.

Woolfe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Woolfe »

Yep, but the question was which is the least well balanced. IMO it's Nurgle. Most of the other teams even the big bash teams have something that slows them up. Nurgle don't really have that.

They are slow to reach maturity, just like the other chaos teams, but they are less vulnerable to the issues of the other chaos teams, due to their specific set of rules/skills.
Woolfe