General Discussion, Not necessarily related to Bloodbowl
Moraiwe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: MBBL
Favourite Race: Khemri

Blood Bowl as spectator sport

Post by Moraiwe »

First off: It's important to remember that what people find entertaining can be very hard to explain. Golf is a sport that a lot of people watch, both in person and on TV. Darts is often broadcast too. To me, the idea that Baroque Music is relevant in Aerodynamics is more understandable than people wanting to watch Darts.

What I do want to know though, is Blood Bowl fun for people to watch? How can we make it more fun to watch?

In short: Blood Bowl as Spectator Sport - Discuss.
I feel only two things: nothing and nothingness.

gregory_n_white
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem

Re: Blood Bowl as spectator sport

Post by gregory_n_white »

I think it would be great to watch live but hard to watch on TV - too much action "off the ball" - would be hard for camera's to capture the full spectacle and catch all relevant actions.

Moraiwe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Moraiwe »

Are you talking from the Fluff perspective, Greg? Because I'm talking about watching two people play a game of Blood Bowl.

D_Arquebus
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: SLOBB + SWL

Post by D_Arquebus »

Spitballing:

Commentary - both actual game commentary and/ or Faux- Sports commentary.

Awesomely painted/ converted minis for all teams. Similarly a top quality custom board.

Maybe a dice cam (under the dice cups) like they do in Pro Poker?
NAF Regional Tourney Organiser (Oz/ NZ)

13th Worldwide to 24 Teams :)

Results by Team: Play the 24+2 :)
Sport: Necro, Ogre
Painted: 24hr Painting Challenge
Wins: 15/26 Teams (enjoyin the 26)
Podiums: 25/26

www.ausbowl.com or Ausbowl (FB) - Oz BB
NZ Blood Bowl Community (FB) - NZ BB

D_Arquebus
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: SLOBB + SWL

Post by D_Arquebus »

High lights reel for regulation 2-2.5 hr games or maybe 7s as the T20 of the BB viewing world :P
NAF Regional Tourney Organiser (Oz/ NZ)

13th Worldwide to 24 Teams :)

Results by Team: Play the 24+2 :)
Sport: Necro, Ogre
Painted: 24hr Painting Challenge
Wins: 15/26 Teams (enjoyin the 26)
Podiums: 25/26

www.ausbowl.com or Ausbowl (FB) - Oz BB
NZ Blood Bowl Community (FB) - NZ BB

Moraiwe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Moraiwe »

Big thumbs up for the 'dice-cam under the cup' idea. Grumpsh is the only person I know who rolls the dice before he knows what he's using them for. As a spectator it could occasionally be fun to know in advance what the next dice roll would be.

The T20 of Blood Bowl is perhaps what intrigues me. What rule changes would come about if we tried to make Blood Bowl more spectator friendly?

Karnov
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Karnov »

Moraiwe wrote:The T20 of Blood Bowl is perhaps what intrigues me. What rule changes would come about if we tried to make Blood Bowl more spectator friendly?
Not necessarily a rule change, but spectator participation via a revised kick-off table would be fun O0
Throw a rock? Why not let the specs decide whom should be struck!

Also, Let the specs participate in maiming any unfortunate player who gets surfed :twisted:
Or decide where a ball gets lobbed back in.

I guess because "fans" do play an role in the actual game, allow real specs to actively role-play and get caught up in the mayhem.

gregory_n_white
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem

Post by gregory_n_white »

Are you talking from the Fluff perspective, Greg? Because I'm talking about watching two people play a game of Blood Bowl.
Yep - I skimmed your post and thought you meant "if it was a real sport would it be good on tv".

SinisterDexter
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: PWND
Favourite Race: Human

Post by SinisterDexter »

The 3DBlock podcast did some grand final games for their league that were great fun to listen to, and they went for ages. Given the right commentary team I imagine a live game could be quite entertaining.
Check out the Adeleague at www.adeleague.weebly.com
Open format, progression style tournament for Adelaide based coaches.

Gunnar
Rookie
Rookie
BB League: Rock n Rumble
Favourite Race: Skaven

Post by Gunnar »

D_Arquebus wrote:Spitballing:Maybe a dice cam (under the dice cups) like they do in Pro Poker?
Slight flaw with this idea, it wouldn't show the correct numbers if planted in the table. So the camera would actually need to be in the cup to see the displayed numbers.

It is a fun idea being able to see the dice before hand, but this could actually make the game go longer if the coaches had to wait a moment to let the viewers see before they just get on with the game.

burn
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem
BB League: SLOBB
Favourite Race: Orc

Post by burn »

You'd need a pretty comprehensive on-screen overlay explaining skills at play and highlighting potential squares for pushes and so on.
That tabletop show with Whill Wheeton seemed to do a pretty good job when they reviewed bloodbowl, but that was only a brief overview not a full game.

Rabid_Bogscum
Frank N Stein
Frank N Stein
BB League: SLOBB
Favourite Race: Skaven

Post by Rabid_Bogscum »

Introduction to tabletop Blood Bowl: https://youtu.be/gKhVPA4Q_kc
Commish of SLOBB
ATC Champions 2012, 2016, 2018
NSW State Rep 2011, 2013, 2015 (Champs), 2017 (Champs)

Champion: Leviathan '08, Eucalyptus Bowl 4, Sandgroper V, Southern Shrike Bowl 4, Dragon Bowl, TSP '13, GOM '13, Gosford Gauntlet '14, Jokerbowl '15, MOAB '16, Cancon '17, Eucalyptus Bowl 14

cdwat
Rookie
Rookie
BB League: SWL
Favourite Race: High Elf

Post by cdwat »

burn wrote:That tabletop show with Whill Wheeton seemed to do a pretty good job when they reviewed bloodbowl, but that was only a brief overview not a full game.
Wait, when did that happen?
Have you got a link?
2014 AFOUL Classic - Runner Up

Borzag
Star Player
Star Player
Favourite Race: Goblin

Post by Borzag »

Gunnar wrote:
D_Arquebus wrote:Spitballing:Maybe a dice cam (under the dice cups) like they do in Pro Poker?
Slight flaw with this idea, it wouldn't show the correct numbers if planted in the table. So the camera would actually need to be in the cup to see the displayed numbers.
Not with the standard D6 layout (ie 1/6, 2/5, 3/4). D8 and Block dice would be trickier but can be done if you use a standard set provided by the organiser.

I'd actually like to see this. We already do something similar at Euc as is, when you have the top guys playing on the sweet boards. But yeah, would require a LOT of prep work with well built & painted teams & a cool stadium. Plus matching tokens, bases etc for an exhibition game if you wanted to go that far.

Cheers!

Borzag O0

Greyhound
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
Favourite Race: Lizardmen

Post by Greyhound »

You can actually watch games in Cyanide and I have watched a few games in my division, or the finals.

I really dont like watching sports usually but when the score will have an impact on my team position (or I try to suss out a potential opponent technique) I quite like it.
Hexoatl Missionaries
Scrub since 2011

JoeKano
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
Favourite Race: Slaan

Post by JoeKano »

Borzag wrote:
Gunnar wrote:
Not with the standard D6 layout (ie 1/6, 2/5, 3/4). D8 and Block dice would be trickier but can be done if you use a standard set provided by the organiser.

I'd actually like to see this. We already do something similar at Euc as is, when you have the top guys playing on the sweet boards. But yeah, would require a LOT of prep work with well built & painted teams & a cool stadium. Plus matching tokens, bases etc for an exhibition game if you wanted to go that far.

Cheers!

Borzag O0
Doublesix dice would work with it being in the table. Must see if this guy can organise dblsix block dice.
'Sometimes you just need to let the dice do the thinking for you' - Semitence
Stunty King 2011 EucBowl
Champion 6-0-0 Eucbowl 2016
"My KR Multicase Aquila- the best in team transport" - JoeKano.
Melbourne Blood Bowl League
#Nuffleridesmelikeapony