Woolfe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: BABBL
Favourite Race: Human

Anyone see X-Men:Days of Future Past

Post by Woolfe »

It was good...

Bryan Singer is back and treating X-men the way they should be treated. Totally retconned the bejesus out of stupid X3 as well. Huzzah
Woolfe

Virral
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: ACTBBL
Favourite Race: Necromantic

Post by Virral »

Yes saw it today and loved it!
Nothing to see here!

Woolfe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Re: Anyone see X-Men:Days of Future Past

Post by Woolfe »

I hope they are setting up Mcavoy to take over from Stewart, he plays the part really well, and old Patrick is unfortunately starting to show his age :eek:

And I must say am massively looking forward to Gaurdians of the Galaxy ;D
Woolfe

Virral
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Virral »

Well I'm pretty sure the next x-men film (Apocalypse) will be set in the 80s so that'll be McAvoy again I guess. Looking forward to seeing what they do with Apocalypse.

And yes that Guardians trailer is awesome I cannot wait ;D
Nothing to see here!

Nubs11
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: GARBBL
Favourite Race: Slaan

Post by Nubs11 »

Not a huge X-men fan but thoroughly enjoyed it. Probably the best one for me so far!
Subscribe to my blood bowl channel and my general gaming channel.

Follow me on twitter
1st: Blocktober B 2012, Goldcrush 2015, Conquest 2015
2nd: Conquest 2014, WAACY Bowl 2014

Woolfe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Woolfe »

Virral wrote:Well I'm pretty sure the next x-men film (Apocalypse) will be set in the 80s so that'll be McAvoy again I guess. Looking forward to seeing what they do with Apocalypse.

And yes that Guardians trailer is awesome I cannot wait ;D
Utterly impressed at how they made "hooked on a feeling" feel like a hard combat song :D
Woolfe

Senexis
Rookie
Rookie
Favourite Race: Chaos Dwarf

Post by Senexis »

I thought it was awesome. It definitely had that Star Trek: Generations passing the torch feeling. I read Days of Future Past when it first came out in 1981, and as much as I waited 40 years to see Avengers in the cinema, I waited 33 to see this.

Given the characters they've developed and the movie canon, I thought this was as close to the original as they could get - all the big set-pieces were in there, with a few subtle changes to fit the personnel. AND the best use of Quicksilver I've EVER seen. Just like Nightcrawler in the Oval Office, Singer comes along and blows away everyone who's written the character previously as mundane.

Off again tonight to see it a second time with my buddy Action Man. Looking forward to it!
10th Place, Cancon 2014
Champion, Wanniassa Open 2016
Sportsmanship, Eucbowl 2016
1st Place, Cadaver Cup 2017
Sportsmanship, Cancon 2018
Best in Race (Ogres) Eucbowl 2018
Also showed up Eucbowl 2019

Woolfe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Woolfe »

Heh... Yeah Quicksilver was freaking Awesome. And it really showed how potentially powerful he is.

I just wish Warner would agree to play nice with Disney/Marvel, like Sony have. They could do such awesome stuff. Sigh.

Oh well I guess it means that the Avengers continue to be kickarse, and it means Marvel kind of have to give some of the rest of their vast stable a shot.

There is a new set of TV series coming out actually for Daredevil, and a couple of others that will culminate in the "Defenders" series. So it will be 5 series I think or something like that.

I reckon Marvel are on the right track with this stuff and will dominate for a while yet.
Woolfe

Haplo-dBiggs
Rookie
Rookie
Favourite Race: Lizardmen

Post by Haplo-dBiggs »

Saw it last Thursday and am so glad they didn't stuff it up. The future sentinals were just awsome and the extra dimensional fight scenes with Portal just had to be seen to be believed. The reset was also a welcome event.

This is possibly the best Marvel movie yet.

Rating: Just go and see it...
The first game I ever won lost me the wooden spoon...

Foxfire
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem
BB League: Labbl Babbl
Favourite Race: Wood Elf

Post by Foxfire »

I really enjoyed it except .... .... ... spoilers below.

They just kind of skipped over the fact that Beast developed a cure for mutants AND PARALYSIS OF THE SPINE. I don't know about you guys, but I'd happily drug up to cure my paralysis. Or cure my mutantism if I had a crap mutant power.
Peasant Bowl - Online League. Season VIII
The Pink Lynx

Strassburg Spacefrogs - Champions of Season X

Woolfe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Woolfe »

Foxfire wrote:I really enjoyed it except .... .... ... spoilers below.

They just kind of skipped over the fact that Beast developed a cure for mutants AND PARALYSIS OF THE SPINE. I don't know about you guys, but I'd happily drug up to cure my paralysis. Or cure my mutantism if I had a crap mutant power.
Yeah they totally did.... I guess the risk to mutant kind was way too great for them to offer it up....

That's my excuse and I am sticking to it!! :o ::) :)
Woolfe

burn
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem
BB League: SLOBB
Favourite Race: Orc

Post by burn »

<SPOILER ALERT!>

I just wished they'd resisted the temptation to have Mystique's yellow eyes flashing in striker as Wolverine was picked up from the water...
It opens up so many questions, not least being - if she has him, when does he join the weapon X program?

Virral
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Virral »

How do you know he ever did join weapon x in the reset? He never shows his claws after he wakes up, they might be bone indicating it never happened to him this time around.

I'm more annoyed that they just sidestepped the fact that prof x wasn't dead, magneto wasn't depowered and wolverine still had his metal claws in the future. They would have been easy enough to quickly explain since they did leave the first two open (and magneto could have replaced the metal on Logan easily enough).
Nothing to see here!

Vain
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: CCKUP

Post by Vain »

Virral wrote:How do you know he ever did join weapon x in the reset? He never shows his claws after he wakes up, they might be bone indicating it never happened to him this time around.
I mentioned that to the people who asked me that, all we know about the new time line is that holograms are everywhere! Oh and Scott and Jean are around again.
Virral wrote:I'm more annoyed that they just sidestepped the fact that prof x wasn't dead, magneto wasn't depowered and wolverine still had his metal claws in the future. They would have been easy enough to quickly explain since they did leave the first two open (and magneto could have replaced the metal on Logan easily enough).
Wasn't Wolvie just a meat shield in Days of Future Past original story with Shadowcat being the time traveller (now that annoyed me, where in Kitty's density shifting repertoire is there time travel brain powers?)
But with most things I assume there are going to be big differences between the comic story and movie story so unless they do something crazy like leaving Batman's parents alive or something like that I can live with it.
2008 Southern Shrike Bowl: Most Valuable Coach
Unofficial: Most Cas(28), Most Cas in single game(8 x 2), equal Most touch downs(13)
2009 Eucbowl: Most Cas(27)
2010 Hindley Streetbowl: Winner
2011 Hindley Streetbowl: TO

Check out my Trade Thread or Goblin/Chaos Blog

Virral
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Virral »

No I'm referencing purely the movie universe. At the end of The Wolverine Logan had lost his metal claws, but they were back in this movie (post The Wolverine). At the end of X3 Prof X was dead (but maybe took over a comatose vegetable as hinted in the post credit scene) and Mags was depowered (but again maybe regaining his powers gradually as also hinted at the end of the film).

They left it all open in previous films to explain these things, so it annoys me that they didn't bother just following through with straight answers this time.

And yes, pretty sure it was kitty who went back in time but I think it was a machine that did it in the books? I agree it's kind of silly to make it somehow part of kitty's power set.
Nothing to see here!

Nubs11
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Nubs11 »

Virral wrote:No I'm referencing purely the movie universe. At the end of The Wolverine Logan had lost his metal claws, but they were back in this movie (post The Wolverine). At the end of X3 Prof X was dead (but maybe took over a comatose vegetable as hinted in the post credit scene) and Mags was depowered (but again maybe regaining his powers gradually as also hinted at the end of the film).

They left it all open in previous films to explain these things, so it annoys me that they didn't bother just following through with straight answers this time.
I sort of felt like the whole movie was just saying 'most all X-Men movies before this one just didn't happen, ignore them!'

but that could just be the vibe I got.

Follow me on twitter

Virral
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Virral »

Except first class anyway ;)
Nothing to see here!

Nubs11
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Nubs11 »

Yep, most all! First Class would be the only one I think they would acknowledge still exists as part of the movie canon

Follow me on twitter

Woolfe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Woolfe »

Virral wrote:And yes, pretty sure it was kitty who went back in time but I think it was a machine that did it in the books? I agree it's kind of silly to make it somehow part of kitty's power set.
The animated series "Wolverine and the X-men"
Actually had Xavier waking up (after a long coma) in the far future using a modified Cerebro to talk to Wolverine in the past.

The idea of Kitty being able to "phase through time" makes some sense. Don't forget also that whilst
van der vaart wrote:I sort of felt like the whole movie was just saying 'most all X-Men movies before this one just didn't happen, ignore them!'

but that could just be the vibe I got.

I didn't think that. I think there was an element of it. (Hense the loss of the mutants who had been in the first "past X-men" movie).
And I definitely think they are doing away with the 3rd movie, whilst still referencing it. (beast having been dead etc)
And probably the first wolverine movie as well. Though I think they are just somewhat ignoring the majority of it, whilst keeping the important bits like memory loss etc.
I haven't yet seen the second wolverine movie (I don't know why either... odd). So I can't comment on it.

I think that whilst this was a bit of a retcon(especially the 3rd movie). I think overall it tries to keep the better elements of the past movies. And specifically 1, 2 and First Class.
Woolfe

Foxfire
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem
BB League: Labbl Babbl
Favourite Race: Wood Elf

Post by Foxfire »

Sorry guys originally it's Rachel Summers I think (you'll need to google) who had the time travel power and she sent Kitty's mind back into the past. In the original comic Wolverine gets melted by a sentinel about 2 seconds into the story. Days of Future Past was an X-men comic, it's completely separate to Wolverine and the X-men, the cartoon.

They also don't explain what happens to past shifted Wolverine when old Wolverine wakes up in new Wolverine's body (at the end in Xavier's school.

Xavier's like 'welcome back - we've got so much to talk about' but what about the Wolvy mind that was Wolvy for all the time in between? Did it just get erased? Is it an angry wolverine spirit looking for a body for vengeance? Is it why he couldn't remember anything when he showed up at the school in x1? But then, he should be able to remember x1 + 2 + 3 because his consciousness lived it.

Argh. It was a fun movie, but so much about it is still hand wavey wtf?
Peasant Bowl - Online League. Season VIII
The Pink Lynx

Strassburg Spacefrogs - Champions of Season X