Pinvasion: Ausbowl

Latest information about the Ausbowl Site.
Virral
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: ACTBBL
Favourite Race: Necromantic

Pinvasion: Ausbowl

Post by Virral »

Howdy folks,

As you may know, I ran a (surprisingly) successful IndieGoGo campaign at the end of 2012 to get some Aussie Block Dice made.

It was a big hit, and I ended up with something like 21 thousand dice to sort through and post. The thing about mass producing dice is that in large quantities it's quite cost effect, but it has to be in large quantities. So even after fulfilling all of the IndieGoGo pledges, donating extras to tournaments and generally living it up as the Dice Baron I still had thousands of dice left in my garage going into the second half of 2013.

So, after the NAF had it's kerfuffle about the dice and we were all talking about the NAF, the community in general and how we could do more to support it, I had a great idea! I got in touch with the NAF upper management and made them an offer.

The deal I made was that I would send them large quantities of dice in prize support, in exchange for a nominal fee plus postage costs. I would then take the funds I raised through this, and funnel them back into the Aussie community. So the NAF as a whole would win by getting loads of lovely prizes internationally, and the funds they were spending were then being turned around and used here. They were happy with the suggestion, and all up I think I've sent nearly 1000 sets of dice internationally since then. This still hasn't totally depleted my stockpile either ::)

After chatting about it with Babs, what I decided to do with the cash was get a new gift made for the Australian branch of the NAF, as an extra to go along with whatever the 2014 NAF gift is. We threw around a few options, and eventually I settled on a lapel pin of the NAF Aus shield. I also got a gift made for 2015, but that's a story for another day.

I decided on a pin because they are small, collectable and look great. You could pin it on your carry case, dice bag, league shirt or even use it as a reroll or turn marker. Using Euc Bowl funds I also got my 2014 coin made to save on postage, and I liked the Pin idea so much I also got a Euc Bowl pin made!

Here is the NAF Australia and Euc Bowl pins, they are 25mm high and look just stunning! They are made by the same company that makes the Eucalyptus Bowl coins, and other coins you've seen too like the new Hindley Street Bowl Ogre Coin.

And this is where it gets really interesting... the quality of the pins are top notch, but I was pleasantly surprised by how cheap they were to get done in a reasonable quantity. So I had funds left over, and I wasnt sure yet what to do with them.

After thinking about it, and chatting with a few people, I decided to extend a helping hand to some of my fellow tournament organisers and help them get pins done too. They contributed some of the costs, and I used my remaining funds to cover the rest.

Here are the results, for CanCon, SSB and Blocktober:

The idea is to try and encourage more people to get out of their home town and see the awesome stuff going on in Australian Blood Bowl all across the country. So if you go to one of these events in the next few years, you'll be getting one of these lovely pins that you can add to your collection.

What's that? There is a fourth pin? Oh, yeah I guess there is!

Well that'd be the Ausbowl pin, which will be a free gift to everyone in the community who decides to become an "Ausbowl Legend" in 2014. DC and I are working on releasing the details shortly, but basically it's going to be similar to the 2011/2012 user subscriptions, with most of the funds going to providing prize support to tournaments and leagues, helping more events get pins done if they wish, that kind of thing.

We'll make another announcement once that's up and running, but for now I wanted to finally share the background behind the awesome gear you're going to start seeing around the scene!

It's going to be an exciting year for Australian Blood Bowl ;D
Nothing to see here!

Dazedmw
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: MBBL
Favourite Race: Undead

Re: Pinvasion: Ausbowl

Post by Dazedmw »

Great work as usual Virral.
Centaur of Attention - Season 21 MBBL

http://melbourne.bloodbowlleague.com/de ... p=tm&t=cen

danielcollins
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: SWL NOBBL
Favourite Race: Chaos Dwarf

Post by danielcollins »

Great work indeed! Stay tuned for info on being a 2014 supporter.

Message me if you have a site request...at the least I'll tell you I can't do it!

Drakeular
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Drakeular »

Great Work Virral

Those attending Cancon will get the first pins available :)
Drakeular
Australian Blood Bowl Nationals - Cancon Commissioner 2010-16
Co-Commissioner ACTBBL
Chief Justice Friday Night Fights VII - BBLE
Bl!tz Star - The Darkhorse Ribbon 2012

Babs
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: ccbbl
Favourite Race: Dark Elf

Post by Babs »

I'd really love Cane Toad Cup, Greenstone Cup and Sandgroper to get in on this. Then there's a pin collection to be proudly displayed for Blood Bowl state tourneys around the Oz/NZ Blood Bowl scene.
=-) Babs.
Rusty Old Timer, recently returned.
Ex BBRC Member and Ex NAF guy for Oz/Nz.

Ratt
Veteran Beastman
Veteran Beastman
BB League: WAFFL

Post by Ratt »

Awesome... I definitely want some of those...
https://theloafreport.podbean.com
Check out The Loaf Report on Facebook

Virral
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Virral »

Babs wrote:I'd really love Cane Toad Cup, Greenstone Cup and Sandgroper to get in on this. Then there's a pin collection to be proudly displayed for Blood Bowl state tourneys around the Oz/NZ Blood Bowl scene.
I'm keen for that too, and even pushing it beyond that into the bigger leagues like BABBL, BRAWL, ACTBBL and SLOBB for example (I'm sure I've missed some there, don't get offended please!)

And if the Ausbowl Legends gets some support behind it, that'll be a high priority for sure ;D
Nothing to see here!

Vain
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: CCKUP

Post by Vain »

Looking great Virral, going to have to work hard to get my mitts on all of those.
2008 Southern Shrike Bowl: Most Valuable Coach
Unofficial: Most Cas(28), Most Cas in single game(8 x 2), equal Most touch downs(13)
2009 Eucbowl: Most Cas(27)
2010 Hindley Streetbowl: Winner
2011 Hindley Streetbowl: TO

Check out my Trade Thread or Goblin/Chaos Blog

SinisterDexter
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: PWND
Favourite Race: Human

Post by SinisterDexter »

This kind of idea is great. Is it price effective to have pins for specific tournaments (eg. - SSB 2014 instead of SSB)? Pins, or even embroidered patches, would be a cool way to track tourney attendance
Check out the Adeleague at www.adeleague.weebly.com
Open format, progression style tournament for Adelaide based coaches.

Virral
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Virral »

Annual pins are doable but much more expensive since you pay for tooling each time and presumably get a lower overall quantity.

Embroidered patches are definatley doable also and may crop up some time in the future.
Nothing to see here!

SinisterDexter
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: PWND
Favourite Race: Human

Post by SinisterDexter »

I figured. Still is an excellent idea. Can't wait to get my SSB pin.
Check out the Adeleague at www.adeleague.weebly.com
Open format, progression style tournament for Adelaide based coaches.

Olaf_the_Stout
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: Adeleague
Favourite Race: Norse

Post by Olaf_the_Stout »

Virral wrote:Annual pins are doable but much more expensive since you pay for tooling each time and presumably get a lower overall quantity.

Embroidered patches are definatley doable also and may crop up some time in the future.
I don't think I could do annual pins for SSB as the cost per unit would be too high.

Embroidered patches are something that I've been looking into a little lately.

Oh, and I've very happy with how the SSB pins turned out.
Southern Shrike Bowl 2018 - 20/21 October

Real Blood Bowlers take the Skull!

StoneColdSpider
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem
Favourite Race: Undead

Post by StoneColdSpider »

really nice VIrral as always :)
Creature: "Spider u are the loudest man in Blood Bowl"
anc001: "I had forgotten how loud spider is, I don't think he's human, its not physically possible to be that loud."

JoeKano
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: MBBL
Favourite Race: Slaan

Post by JoeKano »

I have some fun things lined up for Blocktober 2014 in addition to the pins, just got to hope the extra bits make their delivery date.
'Sometimes you just need to let the dice do the thinking for you' - Semitence
Stunty King 2011 EucBowl
Champion 6-0-0 Eucbowl 2016
"My KR Multicase Aquila- the best in team transport" - JoeKano.
Melbourne Blood Bowl League
#Nuffleridesmelikeapony

loup_garouis
Rookie
Rookie

Post by loup_garouis »

Ooh ahhh... Love them, soon as I saw them I remembered an old Alice Cooper badge I've got, my sister liked it, nicked it, wore it to school and then put it through the wash. I don't recommend doing that, the 'enameled' parts chip.

The yearly thing is more expensive, why not have a slightly different design every few years? Provided the demand is enough to do so.

OneEye
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
Favourite Race: Orc

Post by OneEye »

I'm not allowed to play with pins anymore... but patches aren't specified in the lawsuit!
Ironman 24 Hour Challenge Tournament Organiser - https://www.facebook.com/pages/24-Hour- ... 7949351296

Virral
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Virral »

loup_garouis wrote:Ooh ahhh... Love them, soon as I saw them I remembered an old Alice Cooper badge I've got, my sister liked it, nicked it, wore it to school and then put it through the wash. I don't recommend doing that, the 'enameled' parts chip.

The yearly thing is more expensive, why not have a slightly different design every few years? Provided the demand is enough to do so.
Every few years if things are going well, I'll probably investigate renewing the tournament gifts either with something new (like a coin, badge, tokens or similar) or a new design of pin if they've proven to be really popular.
Nothing to see here!

War-Raven
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem
BB League: AFOUL
Favourite Race: Orc

Post by War-Raven »

Having seen the EB pin in person. They are awesome. Great job as always Virral.

Jimm
Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior
BB League: AFOUL
Favourite Race: Dark Elf

Post by Jimm »

Damn gonna have to get myself one of all of those pins :D Very pretty!
~ For Whom The Bell Tolls -

2012 Adelaide Dungeon Bowl Cup - 1st 5/0/0
2012 AFOUL Season 7 1st - Naggaroth Nighthawks
2012 Southern Shrike Bowl - 4th 3/2/1

Virral
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Virral »

Just a reminder everyone that you can obtain the Ausbowl pin by signing up as an Ausbowl Legend. All proceeds go towards the support and improvement of the community!
Nothing to see here!