Ausbowl at PAX

Latest information about the Ausbowl Site.
Grumpsh
Star Player
Star Player
Favourite Race: Chaos Dwarf

Ausbowl at PAX

Post by Grumpsh »

Ok so we might have an oppertunity to have a Demo table of Bloodbowl running in the boards and card sections of PAX this year.

My current proposal is to have a kickass board (looks at john) and 2 really well painted teams (looks at anyone but myself) to attract attention.

Then i was thinking we would get anyone interested in learning to play and kick the ball to them. I was thinking we'd give them a human or a skaven type team and one of us would play a halfling or underworld type team.

If they score a touchdown they get a prize.

So first question is. Who would be interested in helping run this?

Second, could we get a bunch of NAF pins. We can pay costs if that helps. The pins would be perfect because PAX last year was also running a Pin collecting game throughout the CON. Our pins would therefore quickly become the hottest commodity on the market due to their rarity and therefore having a NAF pin would be something really cool.

Virral
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: ACTBBL
Favourite Race: Necromantic

Re: Ausbowl at PAX

Post by Virral »

I don't think we have enough NAF pins for that, there is a very small buffer built in based on NAF subscription rates in the past, but not enough of one that I think it would be wise cutting into this year.

On the other hand, I could perhaps supply some Ausbowl pins because I have more of those going around, and that'd serve pretty much the same purpose. A donation to the Ausbowl Legends would be appreciated but needn't be exorbitant.

I could also be convinced to give up some Euc Bowl pins, because similarly I have a large buffer.

The big question is how many do you realistically see yourself needing?
Nothing to see here!

Foxfire
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem
BB League: Labbl Babbl
Favourite Race: Wood Elf

Post by Foxfire »

You might have to actually clear it with them for the pins as they were pretty tightly restricted last year, only official authorised pins etc etc.
Peasant Bowl - Online League. Season VIII
The Pink Lynx

Strassburg Spacefrogs - Champions of Season X

Jonno
Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior
BB League: Ballarat
Favourite Race: Ogre

Post by Jonno »

When is PAX? I'd have to dig it out of storage!
Eucbowl Best Painted 2015, 17 & 18.
Cancon Best Painted 2016
SSB Best Painted 2016 & 2017
ASC III & ASC IV Best Painted
Big V 2018 Best Painted
GOLDCRUSH is the way.

Grumpsh
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grumpsh »

yup so its 31st of october - 2nd november. I'm talking to the person organising the board section, atm i've just said a small prize we'll talk specifics later.

In terms of how many of something we'll need i dont know. But i'll PM you on possibly getting a run done if they like the idea of us doing pins, they may want us to NOT do pins hehe.

Virral
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Virral »

If they don't want you to do pins, we can work something out using Aussie block dice.
Nothing to see here!

D_Arquebus
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: SLOBB + SWL

Post by D_Arquebus »

Great idea Grumpsh.

Maybe every even just a half of 7s? I know Babs ran such before to promote interest in the shorter format which people at a Con may appreciate.

Also i was very impressed with the Ausbowl "business cards" that Virral sent out with the Ausbowl pins. Having a bunch of those to hand out may lead to an increase of traffic to this site.
NAF Regional Tourney Organiser (Oz/ NZ)

13th Worldwide to 24 Teams :)

Results by Team: Play the 24+2 :)
Sport: Necro, Ogre
Painted: 24hr Painting Challenge
Wins: 15/26 Teams (enjoyin the 26)
Podiums: 25/26

www.ausbowl.com or Ausbowl (FB) - Oz BB
NZ Blood Bowl Community (FB) - NZ BB

Devilsreject
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: BABBL
Favourite Race: Pro Elf

Post by Devilsreject »

I too was impressed with the business cards. Has everything one could need on those to get established.

Good idea grumpsh. Ill happily send teams down to use if you wish

http://www.plork.org/canetoadcup - Keep up to date on all things Cane Toad!

Virral
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Virral »

Thanks guys, glad you liked the cards! I did Euc Bowl business cards last year and I was so happy with them I immediately thought of them for Ausbowl too. They cost next to nothing if you get a vistaprint special, and are very easy to hand out and store in wallets.

We could do a run for 2015 in time for PAX I'm sure.
Nothing to see here!

Cannoneer
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem
BB League: MBBL
Favourite Race: Dark Elf

Post by Cannoneer »

I can offer to assist in running demo games for one day this if/when you need more hands to assist

SinisterDexter
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: PWND
Favourite Race: Human

Post by SinisterDexter »

If I'd had a little more time I would offer to paint a dedicated team for this. Unfortunately that won't happen within the timeframe. However, if you would like them I can lend you the Razorbakz (http://www.coolminiornot.com/330302?browseid=8681558) for the con. Let me know if you're interested.
Check out the Adeleague at www.adeleague.weebly.com
Open format, progression style tournament for Adelaide based coaches.

sumbloke
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by sumbloke »

I'm happy to bring down minis, but I can't promise well-painted :'( . One thing that would be great would be if we could manage to get representative minis from all 24 races. Also, I can provide a whole menagerie of Aussie animals (but I suspect they'd just be spectating).

I'd recommend having pre-written team sheets for each race, kind of like how the box set had some for humans and orcs. That way it's just the gameplay you're demoing, not team building.
-----
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine. - Abraham Lincoln

Woolfe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Woolfe »

sumbloke wrote:That way it's just the gameplay you're demoing, not team building.
I think if you did that you would need to have some way of also showing the team building element. For me it is what makes the game.

I keep thinking about this as a way to "Sell" the game a little, which is to have more "Fluff" around the actual teams that are in the leagues. If I use my team the Korinthian Klash as an example. I have 2 Legends, and 3 Super Stars in that team. Plus they have won the BABBL twice. I'm sure we could build some "fluff" out of the statistics available on the BABBL site, and from comments from opponents and players that if someone were "handy" with publisher or something, could be done up as little "get people interested" blurb type one page pamphlets. Do that with a bunch of teams from a bunch of different leagues around the place, and pepper the pamphlets around. Of course I have no idea of cost or anything.. :roll:
Woolfe

Fassbinder75
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
Favourite Race: High Elf

Post by Fassbinder75 »

Speaking of 'selling' - I think the punters might want something to buy after the demo.

Cannoneer
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem

Post by Cannoneer »

D_Arquebus wrote: Maybe every even just a half of 7s? I know Babs ran such before to promote interest in the shorter format which people at a Con may appreciate.
I like the idea of the 7's format, fewer figures and moves to consider and if we kick off to the opponent there is almost no need for any pre-game prep at all.

and I like sum-bloke's idea of giving the opponent a number of pre-determined races/lists so they get straight into moving figures and rolling dice, all they choose is a race and the costs/ number crunching is already done for them.
Here are your seven players, here are mine, set up, kick off, and the game is going. Quick to set up and quick to engage the 'passer-by'....

my only other thought is a 'ready reckoner' style A4 laminated sheet that easily shows what options a player can do with each player for their turn (move, block or blitz) I know there is a few already 'around on the net', but maybe a 'reckoner' for each race that can be played that just lists the basic starting skills of those players for that race and the explaining the blocking dice results.

and I agree with Woolfe that skill progression is one of my fav parts of Bloodbowl but I can't see it really fitting into the time available for a demo (describe it or discuss it briefly if opportunity arises)

or we could have some static displays showing 'famous bloodbowl teams and a complete team sheet so people can get an idea as to 'where to from here' ...... just my thoughts.....
Last edited by Cannoneer on Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cannoneer
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem

Post by Cannoneer »

oops, double post...

sumbloke
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by sumbloke »

Yeah, I understand that team building is a big part of the game but for a demo you don't want someone taking half as long to sort out their roster as they would take playing. Also, if you get them interested in the gameplay they'll be more likely to be interested in the team building aspect, whereas having to slog through team options beforehand might put off some people who would otherwise enjoy playing.
-----
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine. - Abraham Lincoln

Woolfe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Woolfe »

Sure, and I am not disagreeing with you on playing up the Gameplay aspect more than the team building.

But IF you just play up the Gameplay, then you need to have some way of then highlighting the Team Building aspect. Because that element is a massive drawcard for some of us.
Woolfe

Grumpsh
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grumpsh »

Ok ressurecting this because the date is fast approaching.

Ok so we can have a demo table for any one or all days. The way the maths works out we can basically get 2 passes for any of the days we are running demo's. We would also need a really good board and some giveaways.

The bad news (for me) is that i'm actually away with work for the entire thing...
So if we want to do this what we would need are 2 volunteers for each day.

Friday 10am-6pm
1-
2-
Saturday 10am-6pm
1-(viking or sunday)
2-
Sunday 10am-6pm
1-(viking or saturday)
2-

If anyone would like to volunteer please sign up and if they have anything they would like to donate (or borrow) we'll start compiling a list.

Sorry if i wasnt clear. If you have tickets im not asking to volunteer the time for which you've spent good money. What this is is a free ticket for the day which you are volunteering.
Last edited by Grumpsh on Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AdvanceOp
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: BRAWL

Post by AdvanceOp »

I'm going to be at PAX but without sounding too selfish I'm just going to be visiting and taking it all on for a change rather than running anything (else I'd be there for Bushido).

Happy to donate a couple of Sandgroper dice cups for the demo table if that helps. Not much, but adds some flair ;) and shows (even further) how far the local community supports the game.
SANDGROPERCUP @ Soul Raven Games
Maxim 37: There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'time to reload.' - Schlock Mercenary