AWW Feb - Spearmint Rhino: Day 2 (Monday 8pm)

Werewolf, Mafia, Great Minds etc...
Olaf_the_Stout
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: Adeleague
Favourite Race: Norse

AWW Feb - Spearmint Rhino: Grizzled Old Strippers Win

Post by Olaf_the_Stout »

This whole game is about BS and bluffing. Allowing a Night 0 view will help the good guys out but it won't stop people from telling complete and utter lies on Day 1. I was still talking crap on Day 3 and got everyone except for 2 people (who knew I was lying as I was saying that they were evil when they weren't) to believe me.

Olaf the Stout
Southern Shrike Bowl 2018 - 20/21 October

Real Blood Bowlers take the Skull!

Carnivean
Administrator
Administrator
BB League: SLOBB
Favourite Race: Dwarf

Post by Carnivean »

For sure it is about BS and bluffing, but scatter-shot isn't as needed and it gives both teams direction early
AUSBOWL NFL FANTASY PLAYERS LIST - check the master list of all Keepers, Rookies and Picks!

Olaf_the_Stout
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Re: AWW Feb - Spearmint Rhino: Grizzled Old Strippers Win

Post by Olaf_the_Stout »

"Virral" wrote:But Olaf, don't you see what happened? By the vote falling on you, one of your partners was forced to act to try and save you. If you had been discovered as evil, someone who read back could see how Angryman had supported you and possibly also identify them.

That was made possible by spreading the votes out because even someone with a few votes can feel the pressure... we did after all not only flush out Angryman by the vote but also force you to fake claim a good role. The followup to that juicy data was pretty poor... but the theory is sound.

If, on the other hand, we all just pile onto a single player and that has happened in some games, we're either going to be super lucky and nail a baddie (which has happened) or we just waste a day and allow all of the evil players to go with the flow.

Far better to spread the votes out, and then see who are the people who manipulate the vote and "decide" who goes. Those people are far more likely to be evil than the ones who just lay a random vote on someone.

I understand what you are saying but I disagree with your logic. The spotlight only fell on me because I was arguing against a random vote.

If I just kept quiet, not argued with you about it, and said nothing else other than putting up a completely random vote then I doubt people would have voted for me. So the bad guys next time will learn from my mistake and just put up a random vote and keep quiet.

If everyone does this then you end up with no discussion and no information gained.

And if everyone picks randomly the only way you are going to get a bad guy out on day 1 is by being lucky enough for a random dogpile to form on them. The smart bad guys won�t vote together unless absolutely necessary. In fact, they may even be risk vote against each at this stage since with so many people you can risk putting a vote or two on your own team mates. The 3 of us were discussing all our decisions and posts via e-mail and we tried to go out of our way to not associate ourselves with each other. Angryman "defending" me by putting a second vote on someone else was an honest mistake, rather than a conscious decision to try and swing the votes away from me.

If it came down to it we were prepared to just try and fake role claim and lose me on Day 1 or Day 2, rather than have the other 2 bad guys expose themselves by supporting me with their voting. If the soft role claim had failed I would have been left to die by the other 2 baddies. We felt doing that gave us the best chance of still winning the game.

Also on Day 1 the spotlight fell on me due to me arguing against a random vote. If I was a good guy I still would have been arguing against a random vote, since I don�t think it is a good idea for the good guys to do.

So what would have been the outcome of that?

If I was a plain stripper I would have got voted off (since I wouldn�t have made a role claim) and very little knowledge would have been gained. Even worse than that, the 3 people that dogpiled on me would have been the prime targets to be voted off next. Out of those 3 people there were 2 power roles. So, even in the best case scenario, those people would have had to make role claims to stay in the game. And in the meantime (assuming the seer doesn�t get lucky on Night 1) the bad guys can just sit around and enjoy the show.

Olaf the Stout

Angryman
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Angryman »

Olaf if you weren't a GOS would you have claimed random voting is bad?

burn
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem
Favourite Race: Orc

Post by burn »

also, there are typically more good guys than bad to start, so the chances are a random vote WOULD get rid of a good guy.
[quote=""Virral""]Burn - Got to agree with Olaf here, impossible to read. Either a genius or a madman when it comes to these games.[/quote]

Olaf_the_Stout
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Olaf_the_Stout »

"Angryman" wrote:Olaf if you weren't a GOS would you have claimed random voting is bad?

Yes, because I don't think it is a good tactic for the good guys to use.

And if I knew that saying random voting is bad would cause a dogpile of votes on me, would I have said it?

No, I would have just kept my mouth shut, despite disagreeing that it is a good tactic for the good guys to use at the start.

Olaf the Stout

burn
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem
Favourite Race: Orc

Post by burn »

do the good strippers still get heaps of cash?
[quote=""Virral""]Burn - Got to agree with Olaf here, impossible to read. Either a genius or a madman when it comes to these games.[/quote]

Virral
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: ACTBBL
Favourite Race: Necromantic

Post by Virral »

"Olaf_the_Stout" wrote:
"Angryman" wrote:Olaf if you weren't a GOS would you have claimed random voting is bad?

And if I knew that saying random voting is bad would cause a dogpile of votes on me, would I have said it?

No, I would have just kept my mouth shut, despite disagreeing that it is a good tactic for the good guys to use at the start.

Olaf the Stout

Ok so what do you think IS a good voting tactic for Day 1? Keep in mind we have no actual information to base a vote on.
Nothing to see here!

Olaf_the_Stout
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Olaf_the_Stout »

"Virral" wrote:
"Olaf_the_Stout" wrote:

Olaf the Stout

Ok so what do you think IS a good voting tactic for Day 1? Keep in mind we have no actual information to base a vote on.

Fair point. To be honest I'm not totally sure. One thing I find that always seems to happen in these games is that one of the bad guys is a lurker.

Have a look at this game. Tribalsinner didn't post much, neither did Hammer. And Gladiator Luke only really started posting once he came out and claimed Rabid. And how often did these people get brought up and/or voted against? Not very often.

So I would be inclined to get some discussion going first, even if it is only in-character stuff. The more you get people posting, the better the chance that one of the bad guys is going to make a mistake and post something that he shouldn't. So after a bit of time has passed at the start of the game, if there are people that haven't posted I would be more inclined to give them my vote.

Either they are a bad guy lurking, in which case voting against them may spur them in to de-lurking and posting a bit more (a win for the good guys since they may make a mistake) or they are a good guy who isn't that in to the game. Someone on the good side who keeps quiet and doesn't post any information isn't really useful either so you may as well get rid of them first.

So not jumping straight in with a vote, just posting some in-character stuff would be how I would start. Then, after seeing who hadn't posted, I would go after the lurkers, possibly calling them out in a post first so that others were aware of people lurking, and then voting for them.

Still probably not the greatest strategy but I think it is a bit better than random votes as it should get people posting. In this game knowledge is power. The more people post, the more knowledge the good guys can gain and the greater the chance of the bad guys making a mistake.

Olaf the Stout

Virral
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: ACTBBL
Favourite Race: Necromantic

Post by Virral »

I have no problem with going for lurkers normally, except we often have a pretty high lurk-rate in the AWW games anyway... it can also indicate good power roles trying to keep a low profile.

Day 1 is the wrong time to gang up on a lurker though, seriously it's too early to single someone out for not posting enough meaningless in-character fluff. Anything that allows the evil players to jump on a bandwagon unnoticed is bad news, always.
Nothing to see here!

Rabid_Bogscum
Frank N Stein
Frank N Stein
Favourite Race: Skaven

Re: AWW Feb - Spearmint Rhino: Day 2 (Monday 8pm)

Post by Rabid_Bogscum »

I did love this old game
Commish of SLOBB
ATC Champions 2012, 2016, 2018
NSW State Rep 2011, 2013, 2015 (Champs), 2017 (Champs)

Champion: Leviathan '08, Eucalyptus Bowl 4, Sandgroper V, Southern Shrike Bowl 4, Dragon Bowl, TSP '13, GOM '13, Gosford Gauntlet '14, Jokerbowl '15, MOAB '16, Cancon '17, Eucalyptus Bowl 14