Price Point for GenConOZ tourney

GenCon Australia

~$67 for a 2 day BB tourney?

Poll runs till Wed Nov 30, 2050 5:47 am

Tell him he's dreaming (ie I'm not coming at that price)
75%
With Gencon access that's not so bad. (ie I'll come at that price
10%
Don't tell me the price I'd be going no matter what
5%
I'm not going anyway so price doesn't matter
10%

Total votes: 20

Olaf_the_Stout
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: Adeleague
Favourite Race: Norse

Post by Olaf_the_Stout »

Greedy,

If you really want this tournament to have a chance I suggest you speak to the organiser(s) about the situation. Explain to him, as you have to us, how ridiculously expensive they are making the BB tournament (to the point of making it not happen).

Maybe once he/they see how silly the current pricing structure is they may be willing to come to a compromise. If they don't, well they're just shooting themselves in the foot.

Olaf the Stout
Southern Shrike Bowl 2018 - 20/21 October

Real Blood Bowlers take the Skull!

BeefyGoodness
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
Favourite Race: Undead

Post by BeefyGoodness »

Greedy. I'd say you'd be aiming very high to get more than 16 players attending the first year of a tournament running.

If you allocate that $9 per player you are looking at a couple of trophies and a couple of teams plus a few extra's as prizes.

Compare that to Eucalyptus Bowl and see the amount of prizes on offer to people through a $40 entry fee for two full days gaming including a custom miniature provided.

We (the ACTBBL) recently had a very successful running of our first canberra local BB tournament (1500 res) getting 18 players attending. Considering the timing (unfortunate right next to the Gosford tournament in a similar first year situation) that is an amazing turn out.

I don't think trying to tie a minor BB tourney (less than 20 players at best) to a major Con is a good idea due to the Con entry fees prohibiting the scale of the tourney unless you get some leeway from organisers.
1234 2015 Captain Hindsight "If Only" Award winner.

iaphyr
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: SLOBB
Favourite Race: Skaven

Post by iaphyr »

I think that extra $9 goes to GenCon, so it is $49 with no prizes or bump up the entry more (close to $60?) to include 'standard' level prizes
That's what she said ->

GreedySmurf
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: BABBL

Re: Price Point for GenConOZ tourney

Post by GreedySmurf »

[quote=""BeefyGoodness""]Greedy. I'd say you'd be aiming very high to get more than 16 players attending the first year of a tournament running.

If you allocate that $9 per player you are looking at a couple of trophies and a couple of teams plus a few extra's as prizes.

Compare that to Eucalyptus Bowl and see the amount of prizes on offer to people through a $40 entry fee for two full days gaming including a custom miniature provided.

We (the ACTBBL) recently had a very successful running of our first canberra local BB tournament (1500 res) getting 18 players attending. Considering the timing (unfortunate right next to the Gosford tournament in a similar first year situation) that is an amazing turn out.

I don't think trying to tie a minor BB tourney (less than 20 players at best) to a major Con is a good idea due to the Con entry fees prohibiting the scale of the tourney unless you get some leeway from organisers.[/quote]

Tending to very much agree with you mate.

That's why I'm tossing up if its worthwhile spending my time trying it, or just cut my losses. And at this point in time, I'm coming down on the side of cutting my losses. (Not that there's any actual losses to speak of at this point :-P )

A tourney that Beaso ran last weekend in Brisbane, got 14 coaches on Day 1, and entrance was $30 (on the day). So I strongly suspect any attempt at a GenConOZ tourney would have far less coaches.

BABBL Champions - Season XII - Cajun Critters

Bradders
Star Player
Star Player
Favourite Race: Wood Elf

Post by Bradders »

Yeah seems a little on the expensive side considering i'm not really interested in the GenCon side of it.. Sorry Greedy
Coach of The Woodridge Hobos BABBL Season 9 and 11

BeefyGoodness
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
Favourite Race: Undead

Post by BeefyGoodness »

[quote=""GreedySmurf""]

Tending to very much agree with you mate.

That's why I'm tossing up if its worthwhile spending my time trying it, or just cut my losses. And at this point in time, I'm coming down on the side of cutting my losses. (Not that there's any actual losses to speak of at this point :-P )

A tourney that Beaso ran last weekend in Brisbane, got 14 coaches on Day 1, and entrance was $30 (on the day). So I strongly suspect any attempt at a GenConOZ tourney would have far less coaches.[/quote]

Glad to see you can evaluate the situation beforehand and carefully decide to invest your time in a worthwhile exercise ;) Many people don't and then get cheesed off and lose interest.
1234 2015 Captain Hindsight "If Only" Award winner.

GenConOZ
Rookie
Rookie

Post by GenConOZ »

OK, time for me to pipe in.

Bloodbowl as well as ANY of the tournaments at Gen Con are too expensive compared with other tournaments. There, I have said it.

We want Miniature Wargaming to play an important part in the show, and we want people to have fun at Gen Con.

To this end, we are dispensing with the $2/2 hour block.

For miniature wargaming, we are working it on a case by case basis.

Bloodbowl is both a miniature and board game. So, here is our suggestion:

1) Door price remains the same. $20 for one day or $40 for multiday
2) The most you would pay from the Gen Con OZ Ticket cost is $10 no matter the length of the tournament.
3) You can put an "additional" cost onto the price to pay for prize support, etc.
4) It is suggested that to make it cost effective and maximise our space, that you have the tournament on the one day. You can, if you wish, run multiple tournaments.

Thoughts?
Ian Houlihan
Event Manager
Gen Con Australia
www.genconoz.com
P: +61 400 201 444
F: +61 734 918 529

Mark your calendar!
Gen Con Australia � Sept 23-26, 2010
www.genconoz.com

GenConOZ
Rookie
Rookie

Post by GenConOZ »

Greedy, I'm also open to suggestions to make this work. Please contact me on (07) 3491 7155 to discuss.
Ian Houlihan
Event Manager
Gen Con Australia
www.genconoz.com

Mark your calendar!
www.genconoz.com

GenConOZ
Rookie
Rookie

Post by GenConOZ »

The event host policy needs to be changed back to the $2 / 2hour block - it currently says $3.
Ian Houlihan
Event Manager
Gen Con Australia
www.genconoz.com

Mark your calendar!
www.genconoz.com

Kojihama
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: HOBBL BABBL
Favourite Race: Chaos Pact

Post by Kojihama »

[quote=""Mango""]Hey Smurf

its a difficult situation.

For me it is too much, I am not interested in the other exhibits and I am not sure if I mentioned it here or WAU last year, events like BB,40k, LotR etc help make the event an event. With 20,40,60,80 people in a hall playing games it makes it 'feel' more like an event rather than an empty hall with some exhibits.

I know that the overheads are high, but for people who are playing these games (and organizing them) who are adding to the overall atmosphere of the event, I really dont understand why they have to pay full price.

Especially when 3/4 of their day is actually being a drawcard for people to come along and watch, its like charging a golden demon winner $40 entry and table hire to give classes on how to paint.

I know you dont control that part of things and i wouldnt expect it to be free but a subsidy for players would go along way to helping players decide to play and therefore make the event bigger.

Another way to look at it is this

20 players can all go out and buy a brand new Blood Bowl team for themselves and have 20 brand new teams

or

They can play in a 2 day tourney for minimal prizes

Sorry mate, but the decision is an easy one for me, I would buy a new team[/quote]

+1 What he said.

hazzadous
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: MBBL
Favourite Race: Orc

Post by hazzadous »

Well it looks like GenCon 2010 is cancelled in any case, http://www.genconoz.com/

GreedySmurf
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by GreedySmurf »

Hmm. I somehow managed to miss Ian's posts in this thread. :oops: (I should have marked it to watch it I suppose)

While it is a moot point now, Apologies Ian for the lack of a phone call. (E-mail sent his way for a personal apology.)
Last edited by GreedySmurf on Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BABBL Champions - Season XII - Cajun Critters

hazzadous
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
Favourite Race: Orc

Post by hazzadous »

I completely missed them as well! He was on earlier but no comments posted.

On the upside this removes the quandry of how thing would go with my bday and few others around the same time.

GenConOZ
Rookie
Rookie

Post by GenConOZ »

That's OK folks. Hopefully we will be back in 2011.
Ian Houlihan
Event Manager
Gen Con Australia
www.genconoz.com

Mark your calendar!
www.genconoz.com

JoeKano
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
Favourite Race: Slaan

Post by JoeKano »

Well as a Organiser who runs a tournament every year at a con and has run a stand alone, and ( oops I havnt posted it up!!!!! doh, I am so slack ) and plan on running it again ( Blocktober October 24/25 Good Games Melbourne!!! ) Ive seen both sides of the issue.

Conquest fortunately doesnt charge an seperate entry charge if your playing, you buy $5 tickets for each 3 hour session your planning to pay in. Controversially they make you pay all up front then refund your unused tickets ( Each GM/Organiser collects the tickets from their players and hands em in.) You as an organiser only pay if your also competing that is eligible for prizes / trophies. They do nice trophies howevere even they adnit they cant and dont do real prize support from your tickets. The venues costs and insurance hurt them pretty hard and they run as a not for profit. They dont pay any of the workers, all workers and Con-orgs are volunteers in it for the love of the con. So a six game tournament should cost about $30 ($40 then $10 refunded after the game ends. ). I and a couple of the other guys and now the Melb Blood Bowl league normally donate the prizes, we get some support from NAF and we are buying some prizes using things like Impacts tournament orders. Organisers score a collectible coffee mug that acts as a bottomless coffee/tea/milo for the con as well so there is some perks( or you can buy the mug for $15 and it acts the same way )

I honestly don think thats too bad, and with our second Tournament Blocktober we managed to put somehting like $15 per entry into prize support, though we used some of that for extra prizes for Conquest. We charged $25 for blocktober last year. We are doing the same this year . Thats a 2 day tournament, yeh its not the best venue for blocktober but we get it cheap and thats important. If we can grow the tournament more we may one day look at a better venue.

This charging an entry fee and then a Facilities charge personally seems a suck. Ok you cant afford it otherwise...sort of suggests theirs something wrong with your planning from the beginning but thats just a personal opinion ( I think the real problem is this seems to be a Convention that wants to make money like all those ones where they get Star trak cast members all that sort out and charge you a hundred dollars to get a signature on a overpriced piece fo memorabilia, rather than a true gamers for gamers like im used to going to here in Melbourne , not to say they dont have those commercial ones here, i just dont go to em. Theres nothing wrong with that, making money but hey, you know dont be surprised then...) $40 for a two day tournament is quite reasonable. Ive paid that before and will pay that again. But $50 or more, I still havnt scored even a freebie sticker, or funny badge is beginning to be a bit rich. Add on to that flights and transport to from venue, accomodation, food costs etc...its sadly a bit much effort.

CanCon this year cost me three nights accomodation ( $370/2 ) Meals ( Ok this could be cheaper cause I do tend to eat a frack lot ( $150 or so...I better not really say in case wifey ever somehiw reads this ) Hire Car ( $200 somehting /2 ) plus entry fee...It was alot but hey its Da Ntionals and I get to meet all you guys. But all that for 10 to 16 players rather than 50 to 70... nah not enough draw sorry.

Im doing Eucbowl. $35 including mini early entry, $180 for flights, $45 to share a dorm room two nights, ( You did book this Kyle yeh? ) $100 for food. $100 for trains etc. But im going to be there with 63 coaches pre-registered, and 42 already paid.Ill take that.

I dunno this is a whole bunch of incoherent rambling I know I know but maybe you see the point im trying to get at. People will pay more if they can be convinceed they will get more out of it.
'Sometimes you just need to let the dice do the thinking for you' - Semitence
Stunty King 2011 EucBowl
Champion 6-0-0 Eucbowl 2016
"My KR Multicase Aquila- the best in team transport" - JoeKano.
Melbourne Blood Bowl League
#Nuffleridesmelikeapony

sumbloke
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by sumbloke »

I just received an email announcing that GenCon Oz has been cancelled (the entire event, not just BB).

[Edit: sorry, didn't notice it had already been mentioned]
-----
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine. - Abraham Lincoln