workd cup. team error poll. what would u do?

Discussion regarding the World Cup event

what would u do?

Make him change his list but it stands.
22%
Penalise his individual result but not the teams
15%
Penalise both his and the teams result
56%
Other
7%

Total votes: 27

fnord23
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: FOTM
Favourite Race: Vampire

Re: workd cup. team error poll. what would u do?

Post by fnord23 »

So, given the WC tourney results will not be changing, what is your proposal for a penalty?
NAF RTC for Penriff

yeah lots of 2nds & lots of draws

Moraiwe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: MBBL
Favourite Race: Khemri

Post by Moraiwe »

Well, that's the problem isn't it. The results shouldn't be allowed to stand. I personally wouldn't attend events run by those who decided to let the results stand as I wouldn't consider them capable of making good calls.
I feel only two things: nothing and nothingness.

annachie
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem
Favourite Race: Wood Elf

Post by annachie »

Probably should have corrected the list, let thevresults themselves dtand, but wiped his points to that point. If it was 5tv or more that would be a bit different.

Probably the NAF should make a rule to cover this.
--------------------------------
Sportsman - Conquest '06
2nd - Conquest '07
Champion - Conquest '09

http://annachiechats.blogspot.com/

Grandma Wendy is really the Big Bad Wolf. In drag

Ut totus alius deficio , lascivio mortuus

annachie
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem

Post by annachie »

Oh, and an asterisk against his NAF results for that tourney to indicate that he used an illegal list and therefor the win loss record doesn't match the tourney results.
Sportsman - Conquest '06
2nd - Conquest '07
Champion - Conquest '09

D_Arquebus
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: SLOBB + SWL

Post by D_Arquebus »

This error (i wont call it cheating because it doesnt feel like it was unless the team used was in any way altered post submisssion), does not encourage others to do the same. Whoever posted up thread that all Aussies should follow suit next time both misunderstands the process and also makes this thread seem very petty, almost like someone accusing others of making "dodgy dice" ::) . Lets keep it reasonable and in focus yeah?

1 mistake was made. When ideintified it was corrected. 1 identified error from 912 odd rosters doesnt seem too big a gaff for organisers to make.

Re tourney standings Id change all results that were not wins prior to the change to wins to recalculate final standings (post the tourney).

Re NAF, i can see an argument that accounting for the 10k may suffice. I can also see the benefit of wiping the result altogether and/or similar forfeit style win being awarded in place of Draw/ Loss.

Either way, the tourney pack should always make it clear when the onus may also be on the Opponent to validate rosters prior to any given game.
NAF Regional Tourney Organiser (Oz/ NZ)

13th Worldwide to 24 Teams :)

Results by Team: Play the 24+2 :)
Sport: Necro, Ogre
Painted: 24hr Painting Challenge
Wins: 15/26 Teams (enjoyin the 26)
Podiums: 25/26

www.ausbowl.com or Ausbowl (FB) - Oz BB
NZ Blood Bowl Community (FB) - NZ BB

Grumpsh
Star Player
Star Player
Favourite Race: Chaos Dwarf

Post by Grumpsh »

to be fair... the guys NAF ranking is still pretty terrible... With double points up for grabs i took high elves expecting to be smashed and never to be able to recover.

Right now what i'm saying is that if i turned up to Eucbowl and made a mistake. If if i made a mistake for 1 or more games with an illegal list. I would expect Rabid or Virral to say "ok Grumpsh your on 0 battle points (maybe less than 0) and you cant win the spoon. Take it from there.

If i did the same at SSB or Sandgroper i'd expect the same. Lets commit ourselves now to committing ourselves to that.

Moraiwe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: MBBL
Favourite Race: Khemri

Post by Moraiwe »

Have already set a precedent for this with my own mistake at Mayhem this year. 'Course, if I go over the TV limit I do it with style - none of this barely over the limit crap.
I feel only two things: nothing and nothingness.

Grumpsh
Star Player
Star Player
Favourite Race: Chaos Dwarf

Post by Grumpsh »

lets face it you were never in the running anyway.

smeborg
Veteran Beastman
Veteran Beastman

Post by smeborg »

Given the scale of the World Cup, I felt that the whole thing was pretty much refereed by the players themselves. This included such things as rules disputes and clocking slow matches (in Amsterdam this was done by the official referees, who each had, I think, 20 or so tables to look after). Self-refereeing naturally brings its own set of problems (for example, introducing a clock, which I had to do 3 times, can be perceived negatively by your opponent, less so when it is done by a ref, rules disputes can get a little passionate, but were all solved amicably). Bear in mind the next World Cup may be 1,500 coaches or so, the scope for using official refs may be strictly limited in future. I was expecting the same system as in Amsterdam, next time I will take my own proper chess clock (better than a phone app IMO). Every French opponent I have played against in World Cups has been very slow (3 out of 3).

I don't know what checking of rosters was done before the tourney, but we knew many days in advance who we were facing in the first round, and were able to check our opponent's rosters online (I checked my opponent's TV and skills, not an onerous process). So I would be inclined to point a little finger at the first opponent of the offending roster. Of course that is not a failsafe system.

I have myself made a mistake when officially checking a roster before a tourney, so I have sympathy with the organisers.

In terms of sanction, I would be brutal and treat the offending player's results all as losses for all purposes prior to correction of the roster.

We had a data entry problem in our results for round 5 (a win was input as a draw). We did not spot the error until after round 6 (because we realised that our total points was wrong). I researched and found the error, but was only able to alert a NAF person about 1 hour before round 7 (there was no-one available out of hours). The error was corrected quietly and efficiently after round 7, meanwhile 2 of our match-ups had been technically incorrect.

All the best.

annachie
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem

Post by annachie »

Moraiwe wrote:Have already set a precedent for this with my own mistake at Mayhem this year. 'Course, if I go over the TV limit I do it with style - none of this barely over the limit crap.
Nearly brought that up actually.

You're not the first to respond that way when found to be using an incorrect list.
Sportsman - Conquest '06
2nd - Conquest '07
Champion - Conquest '09