Moderator: AusBowl Team Championship Admin

Rabid_Bogscum
Frank N Stein
Frank N Stein
BB League: SLOBB
Favourite Race: Skaven

ATC - 2014 Location Discusssion

Post by Rabid_Bogscum »

I just wanted to start some community discussion on this. I seem to recall there was a blueprint for where each of the tournaments (both state and team) were going to be for the next few years but I think we can all safely say thats not quite feasible yet.

So the State tournament kicked off (with a rushed preperation) in the biggest Blood Bowl state NSW garnering 46 coaches (including open tournament). I think its fair to say there will be 48 coaches plus the open at the 2013 tournament in SA.

The Teams tournament spluttered a little bit, but was another great success. In another strong hold of Blood Bowl the ACT (note its proximity to NSW) managed 28 coaches.. with 3 ACT teams, 3 NSW Teams and 1 WA team. Talking to people I know this teams tournament is going to kick on and be a success anywhere... but I dont think quite yet.

Now for me for the next one to be a success I think we need absolute minimum of 30 coaches. Preferably 40+. I think if its not hosted by NSW I can feasibly see us sending atleast 2 teams. So that is 8 coaches. So the tournament would need to be in a state that can command 20+ coaches. At the moment (Cane Toad Cup still to be seen) only WA seems feasible (and I know they have discussed teams events and have a history of supporting the ausbowl events well).

In a perfect world I would like to see the tournament in QLD, VIC or WA next.

That said I think the only two choices are NSW and WA. I believe WA have expressed a preference to host the State tournament in 2015, though looking at things I daresay this might be the better format for them to make use of their numbers.

Just looking for some early thoughts people. By no means am I judge of these things, nor do I think we are at the point where we ask for tenders etc. Just wondering what the community was thinking as I think these tournaments do need a bit of preplanning. Beefy and myself ran our perspective tournaments mostly solo and mostly on dreams. It would be nice to professionalise the whole process and grow both tournaments.
Commish of SLOBB
ATC Champions 2012, 2016, 2018
NSW State Rep 2011, 2013, 2015 (Champs), 2017 (Champs)

Champion: Leviathan '08, Eucalyptus Bowl 4, Sandgroper V, Southern Shrike Bowl 4, Dragon Bowl, TSP '13, GOM '13, Gosford Gauntlet '14, Jokerbowl '15, MOAB '16, Cancon '17, Eucalyptus Bowl 14

SinisterDexter
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: PWND
Favourite Race: Human

Re: ATC - 2014 Location Discusssion

Post by SinisterDexter »

I think WA has its hand up for the ASC in 2015, which means that Qld, Vic and NSW are logical options for 2014's ATC.
Check out the Adeleague at www.adeleague.weebly.com
Open format, progression style tournament for Adelaide based coaches.

D_Arquebus
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: SLOBB + SWL

Post by D_Arquebus »

I would concur that WA or NSW are the best choices, based on evidence of successfully run large events in the past.

I know the lads form WA are dead keen for the State Of Origin to be their in 2015. I don't think this should discount them from also holding the 2014 ATC but can see that the numbers may suffer from interstate travel. It is a long trip (having just come back) and my respect for the efforts of our Western coaches to attend Eastern Tournies as often as they have has gone up :) .

I can see the WA ATC being primarily WA coaches, but then the same may be said for NSW. I think more Eastern Staters will come to Sydney perhaps and have even suggested I'd be willing to run it for NSW (to put my money where my mouth is).

Either way, I can see the efforts for Cane Toad Cup etc purring on the other Eastern States, that from 2016 on I don;t think there will be as much reason for concern.

Final word: It was suggested that a "Olympic Style" tender may be appropriate? Where interested States put together their 'bid' re Venue/ Accomodation options etc and the Ausbowl Board can decide on the most 'organised' option. Maybe something to consider once the next 2 tournies are done?
NAF Regional Tourney Organiser (Oz/ NZ)

13th Worldwide to 24 Teams :)

Results by Team: Play the 24+2 :)
Sport: Necro, Ogre
Painted: 24hr Painting Challenge
Wins: 15/26 Teams (enjoyin the 26)
Podiums: 25/26

www.ausbowl.com or Ausbowl (FB) - Oz BB
NZ Blood Bowl Community (FB) - NZ BB

Rabid_Bogscum
Frank N Stein
Frank N Stein

Post by Rabid_Bogscum »

yep I dont think we are there yet.. but I think after we have run 2 of each we definately could go the tender route.. WA take note if you want the ASC. Yeah I think the ausbowl board will be sensible with their choices.. and use common sense in prioritizing new bidders but making sure we are going to make the best tournaments possible.
Commish of SLOBB

Champion: Leviathan '08, Eucalyptus Bowl 4, Sandgroper V, Southern Shrike Bowl 4, Dragon Bowl, TSP '13, GOM '13, Gosford Gauntlet '14, Jokerbowl '15, MOAB '16, Cancon '17, Eucalyptus Bowl 14

Olaf_the_Stout
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: Adeleague
Favourite Race: Norse

Post by Olaf_the_Stout »

To be honest, if WA want to host the 3rd State tournament then I would suggest NSW host the 2nd ATC.

Queensland and Victoria look the most likely hosts if you don't consider NSW, ACT, SA or WA. The Cane Toad Cup looks promising, but it seems like that is their first attempt at running a big tournament, so they probably need some time to find their feet. Victoria seem to be in a similar boat in that they have run tournament, but nothing on a major scale as yet. The NT are only just starting out and Tassie don't really have a BB scene.

SA are hosting the State tournament in 2013, the ACT hosted the ATC in 2012. So if WA wants the State tournament in 2015, then I would look to NSW to host the ATC in 2014.

Olaf the Stout
Southern Shrike Bowl 2018 - 20/21 October

Real Blood Bowlers take the Skull!

Rabid_Bogscum
Frank N Stein
Frank N Stein

Post by Rabid_Bogscum »

Those are my thoughts... but yeah I guess I was looking for some interstate rubber stamping such as this, or someone springing from the woodwork and demanding consideration. Hutch would be a solid TO for this format with his experience in similar events. Plus theres a big team of experienced hands here to assist him.
Commish of SLOBB

Olaf_the_Stout
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Olaf_the_Stout »

It would be good to get some input from the Victorian and Queensland reps on their thoughts though.

Olaf the Stout

Reaper
Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior
BB League: BRAWL

Post by Reaper »

Olaf_the_Stout wrote:To be honest, if WA want to host the 3rd State tournament then I would suggest NSW host the 2nd ATC.
I agree here. As I said to a few people whilst discussing it at Sandgroper, it would be a lot to ask people to come to WA 2 years running. It would also effect interstate attendance at Sandgroper, as they are only 2 months apart.
Spikey Balls, Chainsaws and Pogo Sticks! What more could you want from a game?

WWW.SANDGROPERCUP.COM
WWW.BRAWLBB.COM

SinisterDexter
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: PWND
Favourite Race: Human

Post by SinisterDexter »

It probably comes down to a willing TO. If any of the Vic/Qld boys want to put their hand up for it, they should get first dibs, but if not I'm happy to see NSW host again.
Check out the Adeleague at www.adeleague.weebly.com
Open format, progression style tournament for Adelaide based coaches.

BeefyGoodness
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
Favourite Race: Undead

Post by BeefyGoodness »

I agree with all the sentiments here.

If any of the QLD'ers or Vics are dead set on hosting a big tourney (I think 40 plus coaches as a minimum would be ideal for the team tourney) then they should pipe up loud and early.

Dare I say team tourneys are a bit harder to organize than individuals tourneys when it comes to trying to lock in even team numbers. The killer for the first ATC was effectively having 3 prospective teams pull out (some quite late). This throws a spanner in the works and as rabid has said, I believe that both the ASC and ATC have simply been run on dreams so far.

I'd vote for hutchie to run one as he would at least qualify for what rabid and I have done but having better organisation and probably support from the community would be imperative for it to gain traction as the biggest community event.

Rabid_Bogscum
Frank N Stein
Frank N Stein

Post by Rabid_Bogscum »

dare I say we give this some time then lock it in.. and start shouting from the rooftops with the aim of a bit of international attraction. If we can showcase a biggish Teams tournament we might attract some international players.. especially if we maintain the relatively small team size of 4 or even 3 coaches.
Commish of SLOBB

Aenur
Rookie
Rookie
BB League: BRAWL HOBBL BABBL
Favourite Race: Necromantic

Post by Aenur »

I think NSW is the way to go. Reaper definitely has the skills and support to run this event in WA but for reasons suggested holding it there that year doesn't add up.

Koji seems to be doing well with the CTC here in QLD - but until it is seen how the event runs - you cannot base it on that.

Rabid - As I will be overseas - I will be keen to head back for this - work permitting. That is if someone doesn't mind a nomadic individual joining their team.

Kojihama
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: HOBBL BABBL
Favourite Race: Chaos Pact

Post by Kojihama »

No qualms here. While I would love to be involved at some stage, my first priority is CTC, so no ATC for me. I can't speak on behalf of other TO's but i'm sure QLD would do a good job IF you can engage the entire community. If you look at the CTC attendee's most aren't tournament regulars, which show's we've only just scratched the surface. I can see bigger and better things for CTC next year.. it'll be a challenge as we've set the bar pretty high but I knew that the bar would have to be set high to get people out of the wood work.

Olaf_the_Stout
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Olaf_the_Stout »

So are you saying Koji that you would like to get a good handle on running CTC before taking another tournament on?

Olaf the Stout

Kojihama
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: HOBBL BABBL
Favourite Race: Chaos Pact

Post by Kojihama »

Correct. But that is purely from a personal perspective, I can't speak on behalf of other QLD TO's.

Devilsreject
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: BABBL
Favourite Race: Pro Elf

Post by Devilsreject »

Im with Koji on this one, once we have CTC run and done we can have a better idea on how things are for a big tourney up here in Qld.

http://www.plork.org/canetoadcup - Keep up to date on all things Cane Toad!

JoeKano
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: MBBL
Favourite Race: Slaan

Post by JoeKano »

On this issue I am thinking of putting together a proposal to run the ATC at Easter 2014 at the Conquest Games Convention. We already run a regular tournament there every Easter, The support infrastructure is there in the form of Canteen, Booking process and with moving to prepay for 2013 and beyond we can look at payments that way, and putting in special costs for individual events is also set up as well.

Victorian Tournaments are almost all dry, not being hosted in licensed premises, there's been a couple of exceptions however that may be a consideration for some people.

Its a long holiday weekend, close proximity to the city (Unless we change venue) and the organising committee are keen to support large miniatures and boardgame events.

Alternatively the Conquest Organisation can be asked to assist with running the event at another time etc

I think Vic could put together a decent bid and get a good base of attendance.
'Sometimes you just need to let the dice do the thinking for you' - Semitence
Stunty King 2011 EucBowl
Champion 6-0-0 Eucbowl 2016
"My KR Multicase Aquila- the best in team transport" - JoeKano.
Melbourne Blood Bowl League
#Nuffleridesmelikeapony

Rabid_Bogscum
Frank N Stein
Frank N Stein

Post by Rabid_Bogscum »

we would welcome a bid from VIC... I think NSW was going to take it partially by default.. and partially because of our greater player numbers... Mate if you can pull a guarentee of say atleast 5 Vic teams... this could be a goer
Commish of SLOBB

ksharper
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: MBBL
Favourite Race: Chaos Dwarf

Post by ksharper »

I think VIC has the coaches to make a successful tournament, we just have to round up the coaches with cattle prods, and make them register. >:D
I reckon vic can get it organised for 2014/15, but still will need a lot of work.

I quite like idea of hosting the ATC ahead of the ASC, as in my eyes its a smaller tournament, and we don't have any big tournament experience/history here. Would hosting it at a con, over the Easter weekend, be a big drawback for some people?
Personally i can't get guaranteed leave over a Easter.

I think once we have seen that these tournaments are successful, and interest is there in all states, i would love to see the tendered bid option, with a rotating system. So as long as you can tender a bid successfully, each state has its turn hosting. (I remember talking about this with Hutch as some others while drunk after Eucbowl.)

Champion - WAACY 2009, Blocktober 2010, Eucbowl 2014, Mayhem on Malop 2015, Ironman 2016, SSB 2016

redcard
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by redcard »

i know id be happy to travel down to vic and the timing is good usually with school holidays for me but easter is a busy busy time