Frank N Stein
BB League: SLOBB
Favourite Race: Skaven

Re: ATC - 2014 Location Discusssion

Post by Rabid_Bogscum »

In my opinion a con isn't ideal , nor is easter
Commish of SLOBB
ATC Champions 2012, 2016, 2018
NSW State Rep 2011, 2013, 2015 (Champs), 2017 (Champs)

Champion: Leviathan '08, Eucalyptus Bowl 4, Sandgroper V, Southern Shrike Bowl 4, Dragon Bowl, TSP '13, GOM '13, Gosford Gauntlet '14, Jokerbowl '15, MOAB '16, Cancon '17, Eucalyptus Bowl 14

BeefyGoodness
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
Favourite Race: Undead

Post by BeefyGoodness »

I don't mind the con aspect as having the extra stuff there (i.e. food and beer...oh wait ;) ) is essential for people to relax and enjoy themselves. The most important change I would make would be to drop the tourney team number to pairs for the next one unless you can guarantee 40+ coaches.

JoeKano
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: MBBL
Favourite Race: Slaan

Post by JoeKano »

Well my thinking is anchoring I to Easter as its predictable and there is already a clear support structure I can bring into it.

If we want to seriously have a crack at this Kyle at the AusBowl we can get into hashing it out. I can't make tonight however if you Matt and Greg want to also start discussing this issue as well?
'Sometimes you just need to let the dice do the thinking for you' - Semitence
Stunty King 2011 EucBowl
Champion 6-0-0 Eucbowl 2016
"My KR Multicase Aquila- the best in team transport" - JoeKano.
Melbourne Blood Bowl League
#Nuffleridesmelikeapony

Rabid_Bogscum
Frank N Stein
Frank N Stein

Post by Rabid_Bogscum »

BeefyGoodness wrote:I don't mind the con aspect as having the extra stuff there (i.e. food and beer...oh wait ;) ) is essential for people to relax and enjoy themselves. The most important change I would make would be to drop the tourney team number to pairs for the next one unless you can guarantee 40+ coaches.
Really? Do you see this having a massive impact. I wouldn't mind teams of 3 though carnage would be stuffed... pairs doesn't feel teamie to me
Commish of SLOBB

Champion: Leviathan '08, Eucalyptus Bowl 4, Sandgroper V, Southern Shrike Bowl 4, Dragon Bowl, TSP '13, GOM '13, Gosford Gauntlet '14, Jokerbowl '15, MOAB '16, Cancon '17, Eucalyptus Bowl 14

Olaf_the_Stout
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: Adeleague
Favourite Race: Norse

Post by Olaf_the_Stout »

I'd be unlikely to attend this event, but Easter would well and truly eliminate any chance of me attending. I'm not sure about others, but Easter is family time for us.

Also, based on what I've seen at SSB and the first AusBowl, many players like to have a casual drink while they are playing, so having it dry may be a negative for some (it would have little to no impact on me personally).

I understand having the support structure of the convention makes things a bit easier as there are a few less things to worry about. However, I don't think it is that big a deal to go out on your own. I have organised several tournaments now, so that may be why I'm a bit more relaxed about that aspect.

Olaf the Stout
Southern Shrike Bowl 2018 - 20/21 October

Real Blood Bowlers take the Skull!

tribalsinner
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: SWL
Favourite Race: Human

Post by tribalsinner »

I think pairs would be cool.

fnord23
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: FOTM
Favourite Race: Vampire

Post by fnord23 »

Pairs would be good - it was something discussed amongst a few people about 18months to a year ago, as like a doubles tournament in addition to the others, it was put on the backburner/dropped for various reasons, some obvious, some not. :-)

It would certainly be more flexible for people from regions far from the location, hopefully even other countries.

Love to see yobenny come out of retirement & team up with FESTEN for the win :-)
NAF RTC for Penriff

yeah lots of 2nds & lots of draws

BeefyGoodness
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by BeefyGoodness »

Its just about the logistics of the teams rabid. Pairs is the easiest event you can organize. As the players tend to find a partner to play with easily and its easier to get two people as a fill in team or alternatively have a bye prize and have even numbered teams play against each other.

Also you want more diversity in the number of teams attending. With 4 a side and only 7 teams last time, everyone almost played everyone, making it a free for all pseudo version of the interstate championship. With a higher number of teams you get a better dynamic IMO.

Again this is all based on not having the numbers up above 40 as you stated earlier. If you start enjoy the scale of the world cup...you have the best of both worlds.

JoeKano
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by JoeKano »

Third time trying to post a response gah...

I'm not wedded to Easter but that being said what ever I / we / whichever poor bastard has a crack at this chooses is not going to satisfy everybody.

I like Easter because I always do something Easter and te wife knows it. I couldn't do queens birthday as its wedding anniversary. Met anniversary and proposed anniversary too.

The main thing is discussion has begun. I think vic needs to try to run the teams championship before having a crack at the ASC and I think we can pull it together for 2014.
Stunty King 2011 EucBowl
#Nuffleridesmelikeapony

D_Arquebus
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: SLOBB + SWL

Post by D_Arquebus »

Timing doesn't concern me. Easter is fairly easy for myself.

My main concern is the lack of demonstrated attendance from VIC coaches at VIC events. The latest one in the GWS store seems to be getting numbers (30+ ?) that I've never heard of from VIC coaches or seen at the events I've attended down there.

I'm not interested in stopping the idea getting traction (I think it would help the AUS wide appeal if it is outside NSW) but I think real progress (venue proposal, accom options, etc) from whichever state/ organisers want to take over needs to be seen in the next month or so after ASC. I think this thing will take some organising but the goal is to give as many travellers as much time as possible to organise leave and travel as necessary to get the most people we can along.

Joe and Kyle have run some smooth tournies that I have attended so I'd happily support them, as long as we can see evidence of the broader VIC community doing the same. Ideally 50% of the numbers should be locals to ensure the big numbers we want yes?

Re team numbers, I'd prefer min 3 players and preferably 4 for the "Teams" event. Pairs is of less interest to me personally. The team aspect made gave a good group effort feel to the first and 4 people isn't that hard to wrangle.

Cheers :)
NAF Regional Tourney Organiser (Oz/ NZ)

13th Worldwide to 24 Teams :)

Results by Team: Play the 24+2 :)
Sport: Necro, Ogre
Painted: 24hr Painting Challenge
Wins: 15/26 Teams (enjoyin the 26)
Podiums: 25/26

www.ausbowl.com or Ausbowl (FB) - Oz BB
NZ Blood Bowl Community (FB) - NZ BB

BeefyGoodness
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by BeefyGoodness »

It really needs a critical mass before it can work IMO. Teams of 3 would be more achievable than teams of 4 in hindsight after running the first one. Hence me suggesting pairs might be the way to go if you can't ensure 10 teams.

D_Arquebus
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: SLOBB + SWL

Post by D_Arquebus »

Hey Kyle and Joe,

I know you guys are working on it. I just windered if we had any high level details like numbers per team? We sticking with 4 peoples (my preference)?

I want to start sounding out SLOBBers to get an idea of numbers.

Cheers :)
NAF Regional Tourney Organiser (Oz/ NZ)

13th Worldwide to 24 Teams :)

Results by Team: Play the 24+2 :)
Sport: Necro, Ogre
Painted: 24hr Painting Challenge
Wins: 15/26 Teams (enjoyin the 26)
Podiums: 25/26

www.ausbowl.com or Ausbowl (FB) - Oz BB
NZ Blood Bowl Community (FB) - NZ BB

JoeKano
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by JoeKano »

Actually Grumpsh and I have been looking at the venue issue at the moment and trying to choose some options. We are fully aware of your stated preference to have some concrete info before may is done.
Stunty King 2011 EucBowl
#Nuffleridesmelikeapony

Rabid_Bogscum
Frank N Stein
Frank N Stein

Post by Rabid_Bogscum »

rah rah rah.....
Commish of SLOBB

Devilsreject
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: BABBL
Favourite Race: Pro Elf

Post by Devilsreject »

I'm keen to see some details, I don't really care what amount per team or when or where.

Just wanna plan my attendance, and my team!

http://www.plork.org/canetoadcup - Keep up to date on all things Cane Toad!

Nubs11
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: GARBBL

Post by Nubs11 »

We have the White Eagle House down here in Geelong that the TWATS run a fantasy tournament and 40k tournament at....big enough to house 50+ (from memory could be more), they have a bistro and bar (some of the TWAT lads get VERY messy haha). Only problems are the distance (people would fly into Melbourne and then have to get to Geelong. Some people may be able to fly into Avalon which is a bit closer but they are cutting back flights at Avalon) and I don't know how much it costs for the venue for the weekend...though Im sure that can be worked out. Just an alternative!
Subscribe to my blood bowl channel and my general gaming channel.

Follow me on twitter
1st: Blocktober B 2012, Goldcrush 2015, Conquest 2015
2nd: Conquest 2014, WAACY Bowl 2014

Rabid_Bogscum
Frank N Stein
Frank N Stein

Post by Rabid_Bogscum »

I found myself checking out the german clubs in Melbourne.. but perhaps a bit far out from the cbd :(
Commish of SLOBB

JoeKano
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by JoeKano »

The Tivoli has already been checked and discarded they wouldn't be willing to run with a two day comp. Following up some other options. Not much chance of anything near CBD Guys, we are looking further out but on a train line or ..........a special idea .
Stunty King 2011 EucBowl
#Nuffleridesmelikeapony

Grumpsh
Star Player
Star Player
Favourite Race: Chaos Dwarf

Post by Grumpsh »

im also waiting to hear back from torquay surf life saving club... Also close to getting a sponsorship deal from "killer sprocket' a mates homebrew which has just launched commercially :P

Rabid_Bogscum
Frank N Stein
Frank N Stein

Post by Rabid_Bogscum »

Ooh I like the sound of that sponsorship deal
Commish of SLOBB