[Mantic] DREADBALL

D_Arquebus
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: SLOBB + SWL

Re: [Mantic] DREADBALL

Post by D_Arquebus »

I assume they mean "Quantity over Quality" in the Vermyn quote above.

Sounds like an interesting little game. Not sure I'll commit until a play or two though. In for the long haul with BB of course ;) , but I've been thinking of developing my Nuthin but Net game into a nice little side line. This sounds like an more polished version of the same.
NAF Regional Tourney Organiser (Oz/ NZ)

13th Worldwide to 24 Teams :)

Results by Team: Play the 24+2 :)
Sport: Necro, Ogre
Painted: 24hr Painting Challenge
Wins: 15/26 Teams (enjoyin the 26)
Podiums: 25/26

www.ausbowl.com or Ausbowl (FB) - Oz BB
NZ Blood Bowl Community (FB) - NZ BB

Carnivean
Administrator
Administrator
BB League: SLOBB
Favourite Race: Dwarf

Post by Carnivean »

I am going to keep posting until ther is no more info :)
There's also a secret fourth player position - the Keeper! Starting teams don't get Keepers, as it's an experienced-based upgrade for a Guard. Keepers get even heavier armour (a Keeper's armour stat is 3+ rather than 4+, and he still gets a bonus dice as he's a Guard) and a DreadBall glove - meaning he has a limited ability to handle the ball! He can't make a normal Throw action, but he can Punt it by placing it anywhere in the arena and scattering it twice. This means Keepers make great defensive players - they can batter incoming ball carriers, grab the ball, then fling it up the pitch. Okay, a Punt ends your rush (because you lost the ball), but it's better than having it sitting right next to one of your Strike zones!
AUSBOWL NFL FANTASY PLAYERS LIST - check the master list of all Keepers, Rookies and Picks!

impactminiatures
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem

Post by impactminiatures »

On Topic: I'm interested to see what Jake did with this game. He is ex-BBRC and there are a lot of Elfball like elements in his game which tells me he did try and do something completely different. I'll pledge to get in on this ... just not sure at what level yet ... kinda waiting to see if they can make the Striker level worth the cash.

Off Topic:
SinisterDexter wrote:I don't know. I love Tom and Impact but I get the feeling that Elfball has always been a secondary concern that allows the creation of BB minis.
tribalsinner wrote:It's like elfball, you can call it something else but its still essentially bloodbowl.
To SinisterDexter: Elfball has never been a secondary concern to me.
To Tribalsinner: I don't think there is anyway to play one game of Elfball and say that.

We heavily sponser the tournaments in the UK and USA for the game. It has its own Wiki page with strategies and ability breakdowns and team background histories ( http://elfball.wikispaces.com/ ). It has its own fan site showing off the game ( http://www.elfball.org/ ). We are very close to completely selling out our first print run of the game and have been working with a publisher to get a more retail polished version of the game published for the 2nd print run. Hopefully with plastic figures for 2 of the teams in the game. I fully realize that Elfball never make a foothold in OZ unforunately ... but it did in the UK and the USA and we actively support the leagues and tournaments for the game in those countries.

If you ever played a game of Elfball ... it is really nothing at all like Blood Bowl ... really not even close. The board, the dice, the mechanics, the player stats all adding to 21, how players on your team move and what all they can do when they move. For example (and while this is not typical for a turn ... it did happen) ... I watched a single turn of a game at a tournament where a player holding the ball threw a shovel pass to a team-mate... failed the roll but it ended up landing back in his hands after bouncing off the middle line ... he threw it again successfully to the intended receiver and then ran over and tackled the player guarding the intended receiver and then stood up to protect him. (Anything in there sound like something that can happen during BB in a single player action?) It is just not the same game ... other than there is a ball and you are trying to score a goal ... after that ... its different. If you are interested ... one of the fans built this table to show how it really is a completely different game ( http://elfball.wikispaces.com/COMPARISON )
Okay Off Topic off.

Jake was a good guy. He did a little too much whatever JJ wanted when he was on the BBRC but considering he was laid-off while he was on the BBRC ... there was probably some background radiation of self-preservation causing that. So I very much look forward to seeing what Dreadball has to offer.

Tom
http://www.impactminiatures.net - Fantasy Sports Miniatures and Games by Gamers for Gamers

Nestyr
Veteran Beastman
Veteran Beastman
BB League: ACTBBL
Favourite Race: Wood Elf

Post by Nestyr »

Well, I'm in with a Striker pledge - it looks to be an interesting prospect.

And Tom, I'm working up to that Elfball foothold for you (if I can garner some interest from my local BB league players... :-))
Self, repeat after me: "In future, I will think thrice before I post..."

10th Cancon 2012 (4/1/2)

Carnivean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Carnivean »

Hey Tom, have you thought of the Kickstarter approach for elf bowl? One thing or me is that the look has always been less than ideal. You box it and offer it up and I am there.

I'll jump in at a striker level or higher depending on if friends are interested. I played speedball a hell of a lot when I was younger and really buying into this concept now
AUSBOWL NFL FANTASY PLAYERS LIST - check the master list of all Keepers, Rookies and Picks!

impactminiatures
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem

Carnivean wrote:Hey Tom, have you thought of the Kickstarter approach for elf bowl? One thing or me is that the look has always been less than ideal. You box it and offer it up and I am there.
We are working with a publisher to do a more polished retail version that will probably go through KickStarter.

Tom
http://www.impactminiatures.net - Fantasy Sports Miniatures and Games by Gamers for Gamers

SinisterDexter
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: PWND
Favourite Race: Human

Post by SinisterDexter »

Sorry Tom. I am happy to be corrected and apologise. I had no idea that was the case elsewhere.
Check out the Adeleague at www.adeleague.weebly.com
Open format, progression style tournament for Adelaide based coaches.

impactminiatures
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem

SinisterDexter wrote:Sorry Tom. I am happy to be corrected and apologise. I had no idea that was the case elsewhere.
No problems.

The Dreadball KickStarter is killing me a bit because there are many similarities between Elfball and Dreadball. And the same TFF folks that would not try Elfball because of a hex pitch, 6 players on a team, not all the players on the team moving each turn, etc are lining up to pledge on something that looks very much like a cousin of Elfball.

I wish it well and will probably pledge for it... but does show me the difference between a big label doing something and a small label.

Greyhound
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: MBBL
Favourite Race: Lizardmen

Post by Greyhound »

Presentation vs content.

It's an old business conundrum, and one that Hollywood, Games Workshop and others have long mastered.
Hexoatl Missionaries
Scrub since 2011

SinisterDexter
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: PWND
Favourite Race: Human

Post by SinisterDexter »

You know, maybe I'll also look at Elfball again. I've always loved the Siringit miniatures but have never found a BB fit for them.
Check out the Adeleague at www.adeleague.weebly.com
Open format, progression style tournament for Adelaide based coaches.

impactminiatures
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem

SinisterDexter wrote:You know, maybe I'll also look at Elfball again. I've always loved the Siringit miniatures but have never found a BB fit for them.
;D That's because we made them for our game not for the other game.

Sorry .. I'll keep from straying the topic. I only stepped in since my game was brought up twice.

Sin ... you can look over the rules online for free before you even considering buying ... http://www.impactminiatures.net/Elfball ... lkyrie.pdf

GreyWolf
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
Favourite Race: Goblin

Post by GreyWolf »

I saved me a copy of Elfball will have a read later today. If it was to come up on Kickstarter I would certainly have a look at it.

GreyWolf

impactminiatures
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem

GreyWolf wrote:I saved me a copy of Elfball will have a read later today. If it was to come up on Kickstarter I would certainly have a look at it.

GreyWolf
I've been told by my publisher that our game is on his short list because right now the best selling games on KickStarter are the ones with minis ... and we have minis ... every team in Elfball if we publish a 2nd print run will have minis for (as with the next edition we'll be replacing the Orc team with the Simian team). If they pick up the game ... it will get the full overhaul to make it as shiny and polished as Dreadball is. Then they would do a KickStarter for it. Unfortuantely Dreadball is going to suck up a lot of the cash for this style of game ... so we might get shelved for a bit to let it recover. :'(

Okay ... I can see now are reading over the Dreadball KS that the Striker level is going to quickly get to be the Vampire level for Reaper ... and I'm actually have interested in seeing what Jake did ... so I doubt I'll be able to resist ... especially if they add a Flying Dutchman style team from Pirates of the Caribbean (as hinted at in video).

Carnivean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Carnivean »

impactminiatures wrote:I've been told by my publisher that our game is on his short list because right now the best selling games on KickStarter are the ones with minis ... and we have minis ... every team in Elfball if we publish a 2nd print run will have minis for (as with the next edition we'll be replacing the Orc team with the Simian team). If they pick up the game ... it will get the full overhaul to make it as shiny and polished as Dreadball is. Then they would do a KickStarter for it. Unfortuantely Dreadball is going to suck up a lot of the cash for this style of game ... so we might get shelved for a bit to let it recover.

Okay ... I can see now are reading over the Dreadball KS that the Striker level is going to quickly get to be the Vampire level for Reaper ... and I'm actually have interested in seeing what Jake did ... so I doubt I'll be able to resist ... especially if they add a Flying Dutchman style team from Pirates of the Caribbean (as hinted at in video).
And that's exactly why I think you are coming from such a strong angle. You are already primed to go and could on-board very quickly. It's fantastic that it is even considered.

Striker looks great and thinking of talking others into it to get more than one :)

GreyWolf
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by GreyWolf »

would any one want an All Shark team for DB?
Great white, Hammer head, Tiger shark, Blue shark, Bull shark, etc etc.
It would make for an interesting theme and the minis would be a change from the norm.
their armour would have special capsules covering their gills in water.
just a random though I posted on the DB comments page.

Greywolf

Greyhound
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: MBBL
Favourite Race: Lizardmen

Post by Greyhound »

Foxes maybe ? :twisted:

I don't have enough time to play ALL these games, so the market is saturated as far as I am concerned.
Rewind back 12 years ago and I would have been all over it. I might still pick it up if there are enough minis to make it worth the $$$, probably not to play Dreadball though.
Hexoatl Missionaries
Scrub since 2011

GreyWolf
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by GreyWolf »

well we got there in the end $100k goal hit new ones now

$110,000 – Expand your teams!
extra Corporation and Marauders so we get 12 humans and 12 orx.

$125,000 – John Doe, MVP

GreyWolf

Carnivean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Carnivean »

I'm in at Striker so it's all good for me. Definitely looking like there is a fair bit to come. I'd be thinking we should get to 12 for each team plus all 8 MVPs at a minimum.

GreyWolf
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by GreyWolf »

As far as we can gauge we should eventually get all 4 main races with 12 players and each of their MvP.

Current goals:
$140k have us getting clear plastic hex bases. a sprue of bases is around 22 bases. All those who are at Striker level and above will get a free sprue. additional sprues may be around $5USD each though a bundle pack was mentioned how much that would be we are not sure on that. you would need at least 3 sprues to currently base the striker pack. you would have roughly 15 left over give or take.

$155k we get Number 88 MvP not much know about him/her/it and how they play in Dreadball mini concept drawing looks interesting...

on the Striker pack image there are three blacked out characters we know one is Number 88 [ http://www.dreadball.com/Number88.html ] the rather large guy would be Buzzcut [ http://www.dreadball.com/Buzzcut.html ] as for the last smaller looking mini we are not sure who thay might be.

Current questions we are waiting answers for relate to the board add on. Whether the acrylic board is transparent as some wish to make a light up board. [some even are thinking of making the hex bases glow as they are transparent as well]

as for extra teams there are a large amount of comments, chat, debate on what will be next but we do know there is at least one team that has been mentioned the Asterian. [<--- I think thats how its spelt] which are basically elves or something like elves.

Cheers
GreyWolf

Virral
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: ACTBBL
Favourite Race: Necromantic

Post by Virral »

They already answered re: the acrylic board, it's opaque but they might investigate a transparent version if interest is there.
Nothing to see here!