birdman37
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem
BB League: MBBL
Favourite Race: Orc

Re: Human plog

Post by birdman37 »

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

He's now (mostly) blocked in, washing will be next up.
The observant among you may note that I added a last-minute bit of sculpting, and gave him a ribbon/handkerchief hanging off the left side of his belt. It will make more sense once he's placed against a completed "reference" lino.

Viking
Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior
Favourite Race: Norse

Post by Viking »

birdman37 wrote:a ribbon/handkerchief hanging off the left side of his belt. It will make more sense once he's placed against a completed "reference" lino.
That's because the 'stock' lineman have one. And you're such a stickler for continuity.

(And only a skull on the base? What about a severed arm or head?)
The 5-Eyed Rats, filling gaps in Undead rosters since Season 13!

Moraiwe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
Favourite Race: Khemri

Post by Moraiwe »

Viking wrote:(And only a skull on the base? What about a severed arm or head?)
Too much flesh on them, would have been eaten almost immediately.
I feel only two things: nothing and nothingness.

birdman37
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem

Post by birdman37 »

Painting has finished on the Ogre, and I'm pretty happy with the results! He's now just between coats in the bullet-proofing stage. Just need to add a dullcote spray, and static grass to the base. I shall post the completed piece once this has been done. In the meantime, these strapping young lads are next cab off the rank:

Six is way more than enough linemen for an Orc team, what with all the highly-desirable blitzers and BOBs crowding out the roster, but with a less desirable selection of positionals available, I wonder how many of these fellas I should give a proper number, and how many I relegate to journeyman (i.e. 17+) status? I mean, surely I'd be mad to award a proper jersey to four human catchers, right? Food for thought, anyway...

Dent
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: AFOUL
Favourite Race: Slaan

Post by Dent »

I would do 7, that way you can build either of these 2 1M teams.

Human 1 Ogre, 7 Linemen, 2 Blitzers, 2 Throwers; 3 team re-rolls; fan factor 4 or

Human 6 Linemen, 2 Blitzers, 2 Throwers, 2 Catchers; 4 team re-rolls; fan factor 4

birdman37
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem

Post by birdman37 »

So allowing for journeymen, I really ought to be painting up some more linos, hey? *sigh* ...

In any case, here's the finished ogre!

Moraiwe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
Favourite Race: Khemri

Post by Moraiwe »

Dent wrote:I would do 7, that way you can build either of these 2 1M teams.

Human 1 Ogre, 7 Linemen, 2 Blitzers, 2 Throwers; 3 team re-rolls; fan factor 4 or

Human 6 Linemen, 2 Blitzers, 2 Throwers, 2 Catchers; 4 team re-rolls; fan factor 4
You know humans can have four blitzers, right? Because these rosters look like dreck.
I feel only two things: nothing and nothingness.

Dent
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Dent »

Moraiwe wrote:
Dent wrote:I would do 7, that way you can build either of these 2 1M teams.

You know humans can have four blitzers, right? Because these rosters look like dreck.
They are just basic 1m rosters for scratch games

Fortis
Star Player
Star Player
Favourite Race: Wood Elf

Post by Fortis »

You can run scratch games with decent rosters. I wouldn't be putting the Ogre in at 1000tv for a scratch game anyway.

According to FUMBBL these are the best starting roster variants:
5 Lineman
1 Thrower
4 Blitzer
1 Ogre
3 Rerolls

4 Lineman
2 Catchers
2 Throwers
4 Blitzers
3 Re-rolls

5 Lineman
2 Throwers
4 Blitzers
4 Rerolls
1 Apothecary

I agree that the catchers are pretty hopeless, but I think I'd paint up and number two of them. I would have thought 6 linemen is enough. I would think the long term roster goal is Ogre, 4 Blitzers, 2 Throwers, 2 Catchers, 4 Linemen. I'd probably start with roster one so even with some early attrition I'd think that 6 linemen is enough even with Journeymen. I'd be getting the following 16 suited and booted: Ogre, 4 Blitzers, 2 Throwers, 3 Catchers, 6 Linemen. Or alternatively you could have 4 Catchers in the numbers and leave one of the linemen to Journeyman only duty if you don't think you'll ever play a 13 man roster with no Catchers and 6 Linemen. I would think you're more likely to do that then you are to hire the fourth catcher though (or even the third catcher)

Dent
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Dent »

birdman37 wrote:So allowing for journeymen, I really ought to be painting up some more linos, hey? *sigh* ...

In any case, here's the finished ogre!
Fantastic

D_Arquebus
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: SLOBB + SWL

Post by D_Arquebus »

Dent wrote:
Fantastic
+1 . The model with your conversions and painting fits in very well with the original plastic team.

Great job! :)
NAF Regional Tourney Organiser (Oz/ NZ)

13th Worldwide to 24 Teams :)

Results by Team: Play the 24+2 :)
Sport: Necro, Ogre
Painted: 24hr Painting Challenge
Wins: 15/26 Teams (enjoyin the 26)
Podiums: 25/26

www.ausbowl.com or Ausbowl (FB) - Oz BB
NZ Blood Bowl Community (FB) - NZ BB

loup_garouis
Rookie
Rookie

Post by loup_garouis »

I had my misgiving about the ogre to start with, you know not being a Jes Goodwin Ogre and all. ;) But he really fits in perfectly with the plastic team.

You should be crowned 'King of the Plastic Teams'. As you are really making the most of the clunky plastic teams.

My humans are airbrushed terribly and glossy...It's one of my secret shames. One that I have plans to fix but never get to. I'd need a tardis to get through my backlog. I might as well start measuring my unpainted miniatures in kilos. ;D

Fortis
Star Player
Star Player
Favourite Race: Wood Elf

Post by Fortis »

I might as well start measuring my unpainted miniatures in kilos. ;D
I know that feeling...

birdman37
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem

Post by birdman37 »

"King of the Plastic Teams" - I like it! :)

And yeah, I have a similar mountain of unpainted plastic/metal as well. That's a fairly widespread problem in these parts, I expect.

Anyway, attacking the mountain one mini at a time - the linos are now blocked in.

These boys are gonna take me a while, but once they're done I'll have a much better ratio of painted vs unpainted figures in the team, and that will hopefully spur me on to get the rest done quicker.

loup_garouis
Rookie
Rookie

Post by loup_garouis »

You know your crown is going to have to be one of those diggy little christmas cracker ones. ;D

Good work. I don't know how you can basecoat all the areas at once and then do the shading and highlighting. I'd go mental, I need to move to the fun stuff of highlighting as soon as possible.

Fassbinder75
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
Favourite Race: High Elf

Post by Fassbinder75 »

loup_garouis wrote:Good work. I don't know how you can basecoat all the areas at once and then do the shading and highlighting. I'd go mental, I need to move to the fun stuff of highlighting as soon as possible.
Absolutely. Base coating is the dullest element of the whole process from removing the packaging through to applying varnish. Never been an army painter!

birdman37
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem

Post by birdman37 »

Are you looking at me? Are YOU looking at ME?

Faces washed and highlighted, and 8 pairs of eyeballs, including pupils, painted in.

Someone kill me now, or the OCD will...

Greyhound
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
Favourite Race: Lizardmen

Post by Greyhound »

wow, those eyes! loving it.
Hexoatl Missionaries
Scrub since 2011

birdman37
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem

Post by birdman37 »

Alas, the painting has suffered a bit from Real Life, but the eight linos are slowly getting there. Need to finish highlighting the brown, then shade and highlight the white areas, then finally the gold bits. Oh, and then bases, numbering etc...

As a break from the monotony of churning through eight linemen, I've been putting together the most recent GW edition of Griff Oberwald, or should I say: Griff Ogrewald. Damn, talk about scale creep!

I mean, sure he's ST4, but this guy's just too damn big! Now I'm torn - it's a brilliant miniature, especially in comparison to the "chicken-atop-my-head" alternative that I've also got, but he's going to make the rest of my fellas look like frikkin' dwarves if I ever paint him up and induce him!

Ah well, third world problems... :)

Fassbinder75
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
Favourite Race: High Elf

Post by Fassbinder75 »

Chicken Head Griff is emblematic of mid-90's GW sculpts, up there with Nagash :D