Shteve0
Veteran Beastman
Veteran Beastman
BB League: WBBL
Favourite Race: Amazon

Interminable Conversion Plog

Post by Shteve0 »

Hi guys!

I've been a bit of a non-committal lurker around these parts for the last year or so, but since I recently got confirmation through that I'm cleared to extend my stay in NZ (thanks, immigration!) so I'm starting to transition my obsessive BB habit from TFF over to here.

For a short while I've been putting up a plog over on TFF to keep me motivated and try to gather feedback on my converting and painting to help me with improving my skills. So far I've had some good feedback and, though I'm still very much an amateur, I feel like there are improvements starting to show in my techniques.

That said, there's still a long way to go, so please do feel free to offer pointers - be brutally honest! - as I'm under no illusions about my abilities and am eager to learn from the community out there.

Without further ado, here are my teams and projects as they stood before today's update.

Undead - The Gnarl'em Globerotters

Dwarf - Kayseri Erikssonspor

Khemri - The Wellington Skellingtons

Orcs (without BOrcs or Troll) - Borca Juniors

Dwarf/Chaos Dwarf - Zzkhargo Boars
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/2830 ... 4small.jpg

Chaos Pact/Human - FK Zelejnicar Nivikje

And some unfinished business!

Werewolves - just lack tails

Khorne - early days...

Halfling (TFF Legacy Team 2013) - now in transit!
Commish of the WBBL - Wellington NZ's Blood Bowl league and home of the Apes of Wrath - as featured on the legendary Three Die Block podcast!

Shteve0
Veteran Beastman
Veteran Beastman

Re: Interminable Conversion Plog

Post by Shteve0 »

An update as at today, 26/4/2013.

I've added a few minis since the last update; a Neomics Troll, as well as an Ogre and Minotard, both from Heresy. All three are rather lovely miniatures. Here's a closeup of the troll.

Two more models have arraved and are in progress of getting painted up to join the boys too - an Impact Rat Safety and an apoth, again from Heresy.

All in all I'll have used models and parts from Heresy, Mantic, Neomics, GW, Impact and Maxmini in this team, with some Reaper figs on the way to finish off the sideline staff... Yowsers. A costly team indeed!

I've also revisited my Slann team, the Croakland Waders, since my last post, with the wonderful Casandora Yellow getting a full outing.

The parts for the rest of the team (all except Blitzers) will be arriving in the next month or so, and I'm really excited about this project. That said, I really need to start finishing things before starting on new stuff.

Case in point:

New models arrived from Impact these week, including the plastic/resin Sarcos (above). I must say, the detail on these guys is amazing. A few models are missing toes, or the tips of their tails, but when you can pick up 17 - seventeen! - hugely detailed miniatures for $35, the odd missing toe is something I can live with (on the figure, of course. Not my own).

Here are the new recruits with the rest of the squad - I need to get greenstuffing on the others before they get a coat of paint, but I couldn't resist starting on the five pictured.

Hope you like! Feedback appreciated - I feel like I'm improving all the time through practice, but if you've seen something that I can do to improve, please point it out.

Thank you!
Commish of the WBBL - Wellington NZ's Blood Bowl league and home of the Apes of Wrath - as featured on the legendary Three Die Block podcast!

OneEye
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
Favourite Race: Orc

Post by OneEye »

Love all the paint jobs man. Very cool. Especially love the Troll from your second post.
Ironman 24 Hour Challenge Tournament Organiser - https://www.facebook.com/pages/24-Hour- ... 7949351296

Rabid_Bogscum
Frank N Stein
Frank N Stein
BB League: SLOBB
Favourite Race: Skaven

Post by Rabid_Bogscum »

It's about time cuz

Awesome stuff
Commish of SLOBB
ATC Champions 2012, 2016, 2018
NSW State Rep 2011, 2013, 2015 (Champs), 2017 (Champs)

Champion: Leviathan '08, Eucalyptus Bowl 4, Sandgroper V, Southern Shrike Bowl 4, Dragon Bowl, TSP '13, GOM '13, Gosford Gauntlet '14, Jokerbowl '15, MOAB '16, Cancon '17, Eucalyptus Bowl 14

astrosimian
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem
BB League: MBBL
Favourite Race: Underworld

Post by astrosimian »

All your stuff looks great! Especially like the colour scheme on your pact, very striking!
There is no god but Nuffle. He is the One and the Six, the Skull and the Pow.

Daily dose of mediocrity: Edmudsheim Eagles
Malicious, TV controlling, little bastards: The Bloomin' Petunias
Come with us now on a journey through time and space: Hallucinogenetics

gumbi
Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior
Favourite Race: Underworld

Post by gumbi »

I've seem your posts on TFF - Great work! Really like the Dreadball conversions - gives a unique angle to your minis.

Also the necron khemri is great idea! I just bought tomb kings bits to make a Khemri team and now I wish I had followed your lead! :(

bloodbowlman
Rookie
Rookie
BB League: ChriBBL

Post by bloodbowlman »

looking great man, Love the Khemri Team, those tomb guardians are just wonderful models and worth making a team as a excuse to buy them.
Keep up the good work. :D

Rabid_Bogscum
Frank N Stein
Frank N Stein
Favourite Race: Skaven

Post by Rabid_Bogscum »

I like your legacy contribution... which reminds me.... oi Conan whats doing this year??
Commish of SLOBB
ATC Champions 2012, 2016, 2018
NSW State Rep 2011, 2013, 2015 (Champs), 2017 (Champs)

Champion: Leviathan '08, Eucalyptus Bowl 4, Sandgroper V, Southern Shrike Bowl 4, Dragon Bowl, TSP '13, GOM '13, Gosford Gauntlet '14, Jokerbowl '15, MOAB '16, Cancon '17, Eucalyptus Bowl 14

Shteve0
Veteran Beastman
Veteran Beastman

Post by Shteve0 »

Cheers guys! Looking back over some of this stuff reminds me of how far I've still to go to complete even those projects I've already started... not least the High Elves, Dark Elves, Amazons, Humans (2), Skaven and Norse projects still in storage back in the UK. On top of that, I've got a whole load of Reaper Bones kickstarter goodies due in the next month to fill out a load of the sideline staff for the teams you've already seen... I'm going to be busy this next few months, so I appreciate the encouragement :)

Rabid - sorry it took so long! I didn't realise it'd been three months :eek: If there's a legacy team down here, do point me in the direction, these single mini projects are a cool opportunity to do something a bit different and I'd be keen to put in a contribution!

SinisterDexter
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: PWND
Favourite Race: Human

Post by SinisterDexter »

Love the teams. I do have one nitpicky qualm with the purple human/pact team though. The troll is awesome on its own, but I think it jarrs with the team as a whole. The solid blue clashes with the purple and draws the eye away from the team colour palette. When I saw the team in the first post I thought "great colour scheme", but when they were repeated lower with the troll I found it muddied the overall effect.

Anyway, a small (and fairly technical) gripe. Look forward to seeing more of them. :)
Check out the Adeleague at www.adeleague.weebly.com
Open format, progression style tournament for Adelaide based coaches.

anc001
Star Player
Star Player
BB League: AFOUL

Post by anc001 »

Awesome mate!

I love your bold colour choices, the unusual minis you've used and the basing schemes you use too. Very nice work.
My Hobby Threads - Dungeonbowl Rules & Layouts

Modular dungeonbowl pitch and tokens link

Shteve0
Veteran Beastman
Veteran Beastman

Post by Shteve0 »

Thanks again everyone! I'd seriously recommend doing a plog to anyone working on a conversion project - it really pushes you on and helps to catalogue your own progress. The ego massage from the very kind posts from community members out there is very welcome too :)
SinisterDexter wrote:Love the teams. I do have one nitpicky qualm with the purple human/pact team though. The troll is awesome on its own, but I think it jarrs with the team as a whole. The solid blue clashes with the purple and draws the eye away from the team colour palette. When I saw the team in the first post I thought "great colour scheme", but when they were repeated lower with the troll I found it muddied the overall effect.

Anyway, a small (and fairly technical) gripe. Look forward to seeing more of them. :)
No problem at all - I think you're spot on. I reckon I'll revisit the team as a whole once the season's over to see if I can tie the scheme together a little more - the troll is apparently also in agreement that the paint job isn't suitable and has taken to lying face down a lit (even sitting a game out) of late, resulting in a small chip to his face... nothing major, but I won't patch it up until the season's end given my shared concern at his scheme.

In the meantime, some new minis have arrived to go with the [disappointingly much larger] slann/tau sideline staff above. Ladies and Gentlemen; the Croakland Waders.

L-R, 4 x Catcher, 8 x Lineman

Obviously a lot to go in terms of highlighting and touching up areas where the washes have splashed, as well as basing and making the gems look like gems, but I'm happy with the way they're headed and thought I'd share them here with you guys!
I've popped them on hex bases as opposed to round ones to allow their use in both Blood Bowl or in Dreadball (as Judwan, the race the models are made to represent).

BTW - I'm looking to move my red and yellow Dwarf team, as well as my Undead team the Gnarl'em Globetrotters, to a new home or homes. If you're interested, please let me know - all genuine offers considered. Pics of them based and as a team can be found here: http://ausbowl.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8934

Thanks for looking!

Virral
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: ACTBBL
Favourite Race: Necromantic

Post by Virral »

How do you do the orange on them? Looks good. I'm guessing yellow then orange or red wash?
Nothing to see here!

Shteve0
Veteran Beastman
Veteran Beastman

Interminable Conversion Plog

Post by Shteve0 »

Thanks Virral! Pretty much spot on.

It's a white base/undercoat for the whole mini, followed by a thin layer of flash gitz yellow; then two washes of casandora yellow on top of that. I've not applied highlights yet, but when I do it'll be flash gitz yellow then white scar to finish.

No skill involved at all, really, which is how I was able to pull it off :)

Shteve0
Veteran Beastman
Veteran Beastman

Post by Shteve0 »

More than a year since my last post. Surely time for an update? Otherwise this thread hardly qualifies as 'interminable'.

First, to tie up a loose end; I finished my Reptile Dysfunction lizardman team on the eve of last year's GSC and they did me proud, delivering a respectable 3/1/2 record against a whole load of really cracking opponents (losing to Gnome's mirror roster 1-0, holding Bill's dwarfs to a seriously bloody draw and defeating Hutchy's Norse 2-1 along the way). A particular highlight was conceding only three casualties [iirc] throughout the tournament - only one of which was a skink!

I also converted up a skaven team - the Rabid Bucharats - for Christchurch's "Mainland Bowl" (MLB) last year, walking away with fourth (missing third on TD diff), best painted and "People's Hero" for my converted Hero miniature "Vektor Rokitic". Hope you like!

Next, I dusted off a really old converted team and given them a new lick of paint for our current WBBL league season (some way to go yet, primarily the black armour... at the moment the bits that look shiny need several more layers of dark greys added). They've be finished off once the season's over (they'll play off against Deanzzz's Wood Elves in the final in the next week) at which point. Here's how they looked in 2009...!: http://www.talkfantasyfootball.org/view ... 23&t=27575

And here's how they look today...

The LineElves

The Blitzers!

The Witch Elves with their amazing 8 packs (ahem)

A runner, the apoth and the assassin

After the final it's only about 2-3 weeks before the next season starts, where I'll be running Halflings. Here's how we're looking with them.

Note numbers 2 and 9 started life as dungeonbowl dwarfs. After making one of these dwarf -> halfling conversions for the 2013 TFF legacy team (earlier in the thread somewhere) I'd orginally planned to make a whole team of these guys. Willy's ultimate campaign changed that, but I still found room for a couple of these little dudes in the squad. Just please don't look at their feet :P

Existing teams wise, my dwarfs and slann have left the coop, with replacement models already in the pipeline. I've finished my chaos pact too - I completely stripped them after christmas - and will take pics of those after they've been sealed (I'm terrified of chipping them). In the meantime, here's how they looked a month or so ago.

Next up in the converting and painting queue is a Norse team I won at last year's Mainland Bowl. Here's a quick preview!

Hopefully more soon!

burn
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem

Post by burn »

Very nice! Thanks for sharing man!
I really like the look of teams using white in their strip, it just lends an air of professional sports to the aesthetic.
Good job on the lot!

Myki01
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Myki01 »

That pact team looks lovely!! What head did you use on the thrower model?

I want to see more of the Norse too.

Shteve0
Veteran Beastman
Veteran Beastman

Post by Shteve0 »

Cheers guys! Thanks for the comments, much appreciated :)
Myki01 wrote:What head did you use on the thrower model?
They're maxmini ash junker heads. I used a few more on a couple of linemen and a blitzer too... will post final picks soon with the others

http://maxmini.eu/conversion-bits/head- ... heads-bits