General Discussion, Not necessarily related to Bloodbowl
Moraiwe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: MBBL
Favourite Race: Khemri

The Mediocre Meaty Ogres team blog

Post by Moraiwe »

We came, we saw, we… forget where this was going.

I’m playing Ogres in Melbourne Blood Bowl League (MBBL). Why? The short answer is because the figures are cool. The long answer involves players dropping out at the last minute, divisions needing to be evened up, and complicated psychological traits revolving around competitiveness, arrogance and lack of self-esteem. None of which is really that interesting.

In an effort to find something interesting in the venture, I’m going to do my first Team Blog. Here you’ll find all the exciting news and match reports from the team. Let’s hope there are some.

I’ve never played Ogres in a league before (and only played 6 games overall), so how to start? 4 Ogres? 5 Ogres but only 2 RRs? Nah… that’s too easy for this arrogant bastard, let’s go 6 Ogres and no RRs. YEAH! Let’s get an Apothecary though, we’re not completely insane.

The team name came fairly quickly this time, and once I had settled on Mediocre as a theme I named my players after the thoroughly mediocre players of my favourite soccer team, Udinese. The second oldest team in Italy, their best result was in 1955 when they achieved 2nd place and were relegated at the same time (not kidding).

The team is sadly unpainted at this point. I’m not sure when they’ll get done, nor by whom (but it won’t be me). If there’s somebody interested in doing so, give me a buzz and we’ll talk. The ogres all come from Greedo’s Florentine Knight Kickstarter, but because I couldn’t find anything snotling-like that had a similar aesthetic I’m using Black Scorpion Halflings for the little guys. Here’s a picture to look at while I writeup the first match report:
MedioOgre.jpg
I feel only two things: nothing and nothingness.

Moraiwe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Re: The Mediocre Meaty Ogres team blog

Post by Moraiwe »

MBBL allows teams to have played up to six pick-up games before entering the main competition. Given how late I decided to play Ogres, I really didn't have much time to organise any - so I didn't bother. None of this lining-up-soft-opposition-for-a-friendly for me. It's time to start MBBL Season 17.

Game One vs Ratae Sabretooths, orc team coached by SlackBladder
SlackBladder is new to the league, and new to the country having arrived late last year. Orcs were not the team I wanted to face first up, but the 180k TV difference meant I could induce a Reroll (huzzah!) and I then took the Mage because I knew it was 80k and didn't want to tax my brain trying to work out the best way to spend fake money.

It began fairly benignly, I had a snotling KOed early but held a good defensive line due to not failing any Boneheads in the first three turns. On turn four I used the Mage on a cage that was fairly well screened. The goal wasn't to pop the ball clear so I could capitalise, I just wanted to hopefully disrupt and cause some damage. Of course, the fireball scattered the maximum distance, in the only direction it could have hit one of my players. The poor snotling was Badly Hurt, the one nearby Orc survived unscathed.

Again, it was the Bonehead rolls that saved me. Neither team was doing much damage, but the Orcs weren't making great progress towards the endzone. Turn 5 I launched my first attack at the cage, but getting only pushes I could only apply tacklezones on the ball carrier from one Ogre and a Snotling. Amazingly, a Black Orc rolled both down in trying to deal with the Ogre so I was all excited to get the change to hit the ball carrier on my turn.

Nothing doing, the Ogre's armour broke and I was left with a giant facedown model blocking my path to the ball. I pressured as well as I could, even managing to kill a poor Orc lino, but the Orcs cleared me away and setup a mini-cage against the sideline with a turn to spare.

Finally, I failed a bonehead (turn 7!) and in desperation attempted an all-dodging, three-dice uphill blitz on the ball carrier with a snotling. I didn't get a crowd surf, but I did knock the bugger down with a both-down result. Sadly the ball stayed inbounds, and though it cost Slackbladder his last reroll, a Blitzer scored the opener. The restart saw me down to 8 players, and while the scatter did give me a chance at a TTM TD, I failed a block beforehand and didn't even get to pick the ball up.

Second Half
Again, two snotlings failed their KO rolls, so I began 2-3 players down. Luckily the kick was awful and via a touchback got the ball into an Ogre's hands. Unluckily, I started failing boneheads at a more usual rate. I also made some bad mistakes with my two remaining snotlings and it wasn't long before all I had were Ogres on the pitch. While I did get within 5 squares of the endzone there were too many Orcs on the pitch still standing for me to punch through the lines - I just wasn't doing enough damage.

Slackbladder made all the right moves in finally knocking my ball-carrier down. He then scooped up the loose ball and got within striking distance of making it 2-0 with a turn to play. I suddenly remembered I still had a Mage to use this half - aaaaaargh! While it was stupid of me to forget, due to the close-in nature of play there probably wouldn't have been many opportunities to use it prior. Fireball away! - and away into the crowd it went. Oh well.

A last ditch effort to keep the score from inflating saw me attempt a dodging blitz with an Ogre. It worked! The game ended 0-1, casualties 1-2. One Orc lino died, one Snotling also passed away (although I can't remember at what point it happened). Slackbladder was pretty fun to play against and chat to, unfortunately I was probably a little too distracted with other league stuff to give him as much attention as I should have.
------
That was a lot more lengthy than I had intended. Will try a bit more brevity next time. Fun game, and I'm already looking forward to my next game against long-standing nemesis Cannoneer. Tune-in in about 3 weeks' time for:

More Tales
of the
Mediocre

Olaf_the_Stout
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: Adeleague
Favourite Race: Norse

Post by Olaf_the_Stout »

I want to do a Florence Knights Ogre team as well, but I'm not sure what minis to use as Snotlings.
Southern Shrike Bowl 2018 - 20/21 October

Real Blood Bowlers take the Skull!

Moraiwe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Moraiwe »

Some of the BS halflings are good in that they have full-faced helms and thus work for any small creature. But unfortunately, you can't order individual sculpts. Covering the faces with greenstuff for armour/masks could work.

D_Arquebus
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: SLOBB + SWL

Post by D_Arquebus »

Moraiwe wrote:I’ve never played Ogres in a league before (and only played 6 games overall), so how to start? 4 Ogres? 5 Ogres but only 2 RRs? Nah… that’s too easy for this arrogant bastard, let’s go 6 Ogres and no RRs.
Lol continuing the trend of people asking for advice and then doing the opposite... now to consider how to harness this power :P
Moraiwe wrote:That was a lot more lengthy than I had intended. Will try a bit more brevity next time...
NO! Good length! Say the course! ;D
Olaf_the_Stout wrote:I want to do a Florence Knights Ogre team as well, but I'm not sure what minis to use as Snotlings.
Imperial Flings (vs the Ultimate ones) from Willy?
NAF Regional Tourney Organiser (Oz/ NZ)

13th Worldwide to 24 Teams :)

Results by Team: Play the 24+2 :)
Sport: Necro, Ogre
Painted: 24hr Painting Challenge
Wins: 15/26 Teams (enjoyin the 26)
Podiums: 25/26

www.ausbowl.com or Ausbowl (FB) - Oz BB
NZ Blood Bowl Community (FB) - NZ BB

Moraiwe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Moraiwe »

D_Arquebus wrote:Lol continuing the trend of people asking for advice and then doing the opposite... now to consider how to harness this power
I had already started the team with zero RRs when I chatted to you, Hutchi. Besides, I was asking how YOU would do it - I of course, chose to do it with style.

D_Arquebus
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by D_Arquebus »

Moraiwe wrote:
D_Arquebus wrote:Lol continuing the trend of people asking for advice and then doing the opposite... now to consider how to harness this power
I had already started the team with zero RRs when I chatted to you, Hutchi. Besides, I was asking how YOU would do it - I of course, chose to do it with style.
As i said ;) :P

jamesfynmore2
Star Player
Star Player
Favourite Race: Slaan

Post by jamesfynmore2 »

Love it :D

Slackbladder
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Slackbladder »

Moraiwe wrote:MBBL allows teams to have played up to six pick-up games before entering the main competition. Given how late I decided to play Ogres, I really didn't have much time to organise any - so I didn't bother. None of this lining-up-soft-opposition-for-a-friendly for me. It's time to start MBBL Season 17.

Game One vs Ratae Sabretooths, orc team coached by SlackBladder
SlackBladder is new to the league, and new to the country having arrived late last year. Orcs were not the team I wanted to face first up, but the 180k TV difference meant I could induce a Reroll (huzzah!) and I then took the Mage because I knew it was 80k and didn't want to tax my brain trying to work out the best way to spend fake money.

It began fairly benignly, I had a snotling KOed early but held a good defensive line due to not failing any Boneheads in the first three turns. On turn four I used the Mage on a cage that was fairly well screened. The goal wasn't to pop the ball clear so I could capitalise, I just wanted to hopefully disrupt and cause some damage. Of course, the fireball scattered the maximum distance, in the only direction it could have hit one of my players. The poor snotling was Badly Hurt, the one nearby Orc survived unscathed.

Again, it was the Bonehead rolls that saved me. Neither team was doing much damage, but the Orcs weren't making great progress towards the endzone. Turn 5 I launched my first attack at the cage, but getting only pushes I could only apply tacklezones on the ball carrier from one Ogre and a Snotling. Amazingly, a Black Orc rolled both down in trying to deal with the Ogre so I was all excited to get the change to hit the ball carrier on my turn.

Nothing doing, the Ogre's armour broke and I was left with a giant facedown model blocking my path to the ball. I pressured as well as I could, even managing to kill a poor Orc lino, but the Orcs cleared me away and setup a mini-cage against the sideline with a turn to spare.

Finally, I failed a bonehead (turn 7!) and in desperation attempted an all-dodging, three-dice uphill blitz on the ball carrier with a snotling. I didn't get a crowd surf, but I did knock the bugger down with a both-down result. Sadly the ball stayed inbounds, and though it cost Slackbladder his last reroll, a Blitzer scored the opener. The restart saw me down to 8 players, and while the scatter did give me a chance at a TTM TD, I failed a block beforehand and didn't even get to pick the ball up.

Second Half
Again, two snotlings failed their KO rolls, so I began 2-3 players down. Luckily the kick was awful and via a touchback got the ball into an Ogre's hands. Unluckily, I started failing boneheads at a more usual rate. I also made some bad mistakes with my two remaining snotlings and it wasn't long before all I had were Ogres on the pitch. While I did get within 5 squares of the endzone there were too many Orcs on the pitch still standing for me to punch through the lines - I just wasn't doing enough damage.

Slackbladder made all the right moves in finally knocking my ball-carrier down. He then scooped up the loose ball and got within striking distance of making it 2-0 with a turn to play. I suddenly remembered I still had a Mage to use this half - aaaaaargh! While it was stupid of me to forget, due to the close-in nature of play there probably wouldn't have been many opportunities to use it prior. Fireball away! - and away into the crowd it went. Oh well.

A last ditch effort to keep the score from inflating saw me attempt a dodging blitz with an Ogre. It worked! The game ended 0-1, casualties 1-2. One Orc lino died, one Snotling also passed away (although I can't remember at what point it happened). Slackbladder was pretty fun to play against and chat to, unfortunately I was probably a little too distracted with other league stuff to give him as much attention as I should have.
------
That was a lot more lengthy than I had intended. Will try a bit more brevity next time. Fun game, and I'm already looking forward to my next game against long-standing nemesis Cannoneer. Tune-in in about 3 weeks' time for:

More Tales
of the
Mediocre
Thanks for the game, it was a lot of fun and very silly at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moraiwe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Moraiwe »

Round 2 sees the Meaty Ogres up against Cannoneer's Khorne and we have 360k of inducements to play with. Like a kid in a candy store, I'm not sure where to begin. Do I go for:

Tried and True: 3RRs and a Babe
Sugar Overload: Brick Farth & Grotty, and a Babe (7 Ogres with no RRs!)
Suck It and See: Halfling Chef and a 50k card(Khorne have 2RR and no leader)
Handful of Warheads: Mage, Scrappa and Nobbla
Fancy Foreign Fare: ??

(Hutchi, feel free to pick four options so I can choose the fifth)
Last edited by Moraiwe on Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D_Arquebus
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by D_Arquebus »

BWahahahahaha! :P

Suck It and See sounds a winner vs low RR Khorne...

Or Sugar Overload: they will struggle vs that much ST 5 (except the Thirster)

Moraiwe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Moraiwe »

We got ourselfs a badge thingy...
MYsmall.jpg
MYsmall.jpg (36.38 KiB) Viewed 2594 times
Intimidated, Cannoneer?

Jonno
Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior
BB League: Ballarat
Favourite Race: Ogre

Post by Jonno »

Pour some sugar on...
Eucbowl Best Painted 2015, 17 & 18.
Cancon Best Painted 2016
SSB Best Painted 2016 & 2017
ASC III & ASC IV Best Painted
Big V 2018 Best Painted
GOLDCRUSH is the way.

Moraiwe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Moraiwe »

Last second brain explosion has given me another menu selection:
Have My Cake And Eat It Too: Don't take a Journeyman and fire a snotling, giving me 400k to take Brick & Grotty and a RR! (11 Players incl. 7 Ogres, an AG4 stunty!)

Moraiwe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Moraiwe »

MBBL Round 2 vs The Red Guard, a Cannoneer coached Khorne team.

Throwing everything I thought out the window and going with instinct, I went and fired a snotling, and then refused the journeymen just so I could induce both a RR and the Brick & Grotty combo.
Seven Ogres was too tempting, and an AG4 Goblin is nothing to be sneezed at. I am not sane.

Thanks to a Promo Tour, the Ogres' fans outnumbered the Khorne followers. I elected to receive in good weather and then Cannoneer blew my plans for a slow grind out of the water: Ball Clone! Urgh. My first turn was solid, but not spectacular. Was very happy to use Snotlings and Brick to screen the Bloodthirster away from my Ogres, who screened the ball-carriers from the rest of the Khorne team. Yep, was very lucky to secure both balls, one with a Snotling, one with Grotty.

Cannoneer tried to punch through the line with the help of his stat-boosts (+ST, +AG and +MA on three different Pit Fighters) and I found myself under more pressure than I expected at the start of Turn 2. With a few Ogres near the sideline, Cannoneer then cast a Rune of Unwilling Flight (Trampoline Trap for you oldies). Luckily, the Ogre scattered inbound and landed with remarkable grace upon his feet!

The acrobatic display inspired my team and they set about demolishing the Khorne. +ST guy was seriously injured and though The Red Guard's apothecary pronounced him dead, Cannoneer overruled him and he survived, albeit with less agility. Soon after the +AG guy was KOed and I started to believe I might get a TD out of this. A Boneheaded Ogre, however, left my flank exposed but Cannoneer failed to capitalise. Attempting to crowd surf an Ogre cost him an opportunity to swat the ball carriers - as far as I can tell, this was the only real mistake he made during the half.

An ineffective turn by me let Cannoneer swat the Ball-carrying Snotling, but the combination of his Frenzy and my Side Step just moved me closer to the endzone. Some more damage, this time a Pit Fighter with Block lost a ST point, and then another KO and a surfed player for no result. Somewhere along the line I had a Snotling sent-off. With only 2 Snotlings left on the pitch, I didn't foul as often as I would have liked. But with numbers in hand, I dodged both ball-carriers into the clear within reach of the endzone. Cannoneer only had the one likely move available, and with GFIs rolled managed to blitz the Snotling with the ball. Snotling went down (the first one to actually get knocked down after numerous pushes previously) and dropped the ball into the blitzing Pit Fighter's hands.

It was now my turn to suffer against a Side Stepping player that wouldn't fall down, the result being I couldn't get an Ogre free to blitz his ball carrier. Although I had good field position against the rest of his team, the prospect of him outrunning me made me go for the TD with Grotty. A single GFI allowed me to prove the ball he carried was indeed the true one. TD scored but the Khorne had three turns before the end of the half to equalise.

It proved too difficult though. While the returned +AG guy held the ball deep in the backfield waiting for the receivers to get in place, I set about knocking them down. A failed Bonehead gave the Khorne a chance, but the AG+ guy fumbled the ball. I took a Both Down result to ensure the one remaining potential scorer was out of action and the half ended.

11 Khorne vs my 10 players for the second half. Again I did some damage, this time to the +MA guy. Again a failed Bonehad opened up a hole in my lines. Cannoneer burst through with his ball carrier and friends, but some fancy dodging blocked some squares allowing Grotty to surf a player freeing up an Ogre. Ogre promptly blitzed the ball carrier and what followed was a turn or two of nobody being able to secure the ball. Numbers dropping, and with time running out Cannoneer went for broke with the +AG guy who managed all the rolls to blitz-free, dodge, scoop the ball and GFI well away from the scrum. I had no Ogre within range of blitzing the ball-carrier, but I could put a tackle zone on him and then I blitzed with a Snotling. Cannoneer had the choice of Both Down or push. He chose the push leaving him up against the sideline covered by the Ogre. The snotling continued further down the side line ensuring that the +AG guy would need an extra dodge to score. Here's a diagram:
Moment of truth.jpg
Now, I guess he should have simply run diagonally needing 3+, 2+, 2+ dodges to score (remember, Titchy doesn't add a dodge modifier). But Cannoneer thought he might be able to reduce the dodges with a by blitzing the Snotling. The initial 3+ dodge required a RR, the first 2-Dice Block saw my Snotling stay on his feet and sidestep toward the Ogre. On the Frenzied Block (3-Dice!), the Snotling went down and will require some time off before playing again. Now Cannoneer needed one 2+ dodge to equalise, but obviously the spilled Snotling blood made the turf too slippery for the Pit Fighter to keep his footing, and he fell in spectacular fashion. It was quite a fall, and he's now moved on to that big dugout in the sky.

The last few turns saw Cannoneer make repeated desperate attempts to get to the ball, and me try to secure it while being too afraid of scattering it into the crowd to pick it up. I settled for bodies around the ball, and it was enough to secure the win.

There was so much carnage I couldn't remember exactly where it all happened, but here's the final tally:
Dead: Pit Fighter with +AG
-ST: Pit Fighter with Block, Pit Fighter with +MA
-AG: Pit Fighter with +ST
-MA: Pit Fighter
MNG: Snotling
Badly Hurt: Pit Fighter and Bloodletter

That's quite an amount of carnage for an Ogre team with only one game under it's belt.

Bloodthirster did very little, knocked a few people down, but couldn't even hurt the Snotlings. Did KO Grotty late in the game.

The TL/DR version: Ogres 1 - Khorne 0. Khorne got slaughtered.

Moraiwe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Moraiwe »

It occurs to me now, that instead of firing the Snotling I could have simply added some money from my treasury. I'm still not used to the new rules. Or, to put it another way, I failed my Bone-head roll.

Moraiwe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Moraiwe »

Round 2 Post Script.

Despite winning the game, having +1 FAME and a card which game me an extra D3 winnings I only got 50k from the match. This took my treasury to 100k and Expensive Mistakes kicked in and I lost 20k. Give the Sacked player, I guess I made a profit of 10k. Oops.

Olaf_the_Stout
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Olaf_the_Stout »

Moraiwe wrote:It occurs to me now, that instead of firing the Snotling I could have simply added some money from my treasury. I'm still not used to the new rules. Or, to put it another way, I failed my Bone-head roll.
Unless MBBL is doing it differently, GW “clarified” that the Treasury works the same way it did under the CRP ruleset (despite different wording seeming to indicate that this wasn’t the case).

Moraiwe
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Moraiwe »

I'll believe that 'clarification' when they FAQ it. I don't trust the source (JT-Y) to speak on the behalf of the GW. Man's a prat. MBBL will change when they FAQ it, not before.

Olaf_the_Stout
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Olaf_the_Stout »

Moraiwe wrote:I'll believe that 'clarification' when they FAQ it. I don't trust the source (JT-Y) to speak on the behalf of the GW. Man's a prat. MBBL will change when they FAQ it, not before.
JT-Y is now employed by GW, doing work on Blood Bowl and other Specialist Games (I think he's doing James Hewitt's former role).